May 13th, 2013

A/N: the results are in! The one shots are all posted in my Z.D./Z.J. One Shots book (you can find that in my profile) I'll be posting the winning Connie's Story one shot directly after this chapter in THIS book, it will be used as Connie's back story. The first, second and third place winners from the contest (you can check the one shot book in my profile, remember) please email me and we can set up your awesome prizes.

May 13th, 2013

Journal,

I slept in today. I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up after the sun rose. Karen was up and about (finally over whatever cold or flu she'd had) and told Sebastian and the girls to leave me be. I'd recently been the one waking up extra early to make breakfast before I started my normal chores. They were ecstatic, my cooking wasn't great. Hell, it wasn't even passable. I think if it had been a few more days they were stuck with me, my burnt stews and chalky rice would have done them in before the undead.

Oh and speaking of undead, Kate and Robert showed up late last night. Let me just recap on that:

It was dark, almost pitch black, when Kate and Robert arrived. They drove all day after I radioed her to get to the farmhouse. We heard the knock around midnight.

"Who would be here this late?" Karen asked, wide eyed. She stood and walked to the one unblocked door. After peering through the peephole I'd drilled into it, she threw the door open, hugging a sleepy Kate and Robert as they stepped in.

"Thanks for coming you guys." She said, beaming.

"No problem." Robert said. "Sorry it's so late, we were just really excited to do this."

"It's no problem." Bre said, walking into the room with a wide awake Ollie. "He was already awake for his midnight snack. His sleep schedule runs like clockwork, he's always up at this time."

There was a gasp from Kate as Bre pulled Oliver from her breast.

"His eyes," she whispered, "I've never seen anything like it. May I?" She held out her arms to Oliver and he reached for her. Bre placed him in Kate's waiting grasp and smiled.

"He's safe?" Robert asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"He's not showing any signs of wanting to bite?" He explained.

"No biting, no puking, no strange behavior." I told him. "Except for his fast growth and intelligence, he's a perfectly normal boy."

"This is amazing." Kate said, stroking his blonde locks. "Can we head upstairs to his room and get the check up started?"

"Of course." Bre and Karen started for the stairs with Kate and Robert in tow.

"Bruce, you coming?" Karen asked, turning toward me.

"For a little while, ya. It's been a long day and I'm about ready to get some sleep." I got in line behind them.

"Should I wake Sebastian?" Bre asked.

"No, let him sleep, he was exercising the horses all day." Karen said.

We got to Oliver's room and Kate laid him on the changing table. "This is probably the best spot to do this. Robert can you hand me the scale?"

"Ya." He handed her the contraption and she set it up. After getting Oliver undressed she placed him gently on the cool metal.

"16.5 pounds." She said aloud, writing it in her notebook. "He's only about a month old, yes?"

"Ya." Bre said.

"He shouldn't be more than ten pounds. He's at the average weight of a six month old." She told us. "May I take a blood sample?"