Zompocalypse Journal - The New World

My name is Bruce and this is my story:

Everything was perfect. I'd just proposed to the love of my life, Franchesca. I'm finishing college in a few weeks to be an engineer. My brother's having a baby girl with his wife. My baby sister just started grade 9 and got her first boyfriend (after I had a talk with him, of course) and my mom is finally moving past Dad's death.

Too bad perfection doesn't last for long. It was another Tuesday when those fuckers decided to ruin everything. I was chilling in my dorm room when my door got banged on as if someone was trying to get it off its hinges. Throwing my green covers off me, I walk over to the door and take a look through the hole.

There stood my best friend Neil with a frightened look in his eyes. His tan skin much too pale for a beach boy. Swinging the door open I pull him in the room.

"Oh my god, Bruce." He said in a panicky tone. I grabbed him by the sholders and looked him over.

"Dude. What the hell is wrong?" I question as tear sprung up in his eyes.

"Everyone's dead dude." He whispers as tears pour down his face.

I let out a loud laugh "Nice one Neil." I say as I roll my eyes and flop back on my bed. He slams my door shut and looks at me with such a sincere face.

"I'm serious Bruce!" He shouts as he tugs on his blonde locks

"You know Brittany from last week?" I let out a huff and cross my arms leaning against my head board.

"Yea. What about her?" I hated that he played girls. But he doesn't want to stick with just one.

"Well. I went to go find her for a quickie. But when I found her in her dorm...she didn't look so well" He states as he scratches at his arm and sweat runs down his forehead.

"What do you mean? Was she sick?" I say with curiousity.

"No. She was, like, a sickly green with scary eyes, her hair falling out and stuff but the weird thing is she bit me!" He lifts up his sleeve exposing his muscle and there, in fact, was a festering and quickly rotting bite mark.

"Neil. It sounds like you're explaining a zombie." I say with a laugh but stop my joking when I see Neil's scared face, panic within his big blue eyes.

"I was really hoping you weren't going to say that Bruce.." More tears fell down as he started to panic, sitting on my roomates bed he lays down and looks at my ceiling with hazy eyes.

"You have to be joking Neil. Neil you better not be fucking with me!" I yell as I stand up off my bed.

"I don't want to be one of them Bruce..." He whispers in a child like tone as he continues to look at the ceiling.

"Be one of who Neil?! Who the hell are you talking about?!" I shout as I sit beside him on the end of the bed.

"You know when we were really into Starwars, comics and that crap, Bruce?" He questioned in that same child like tone.

"Yea..of course buddy" I whisper as tears sprung into my own eyes.

"I still have a machete in my dorm from one of the comicons..I want you to take it and live. I can feel it taking over. Oh God Bruce, You're my best friend...now get out of here and leave me." He says, his breath getting shorter.

Tears were falling down my face. My heart clenched and I was just praying any moment he would jump up and shout 'Just kidding!' but it didn't happen. I grabbed my phone and ran, shutting the door behind me, tears blurring my vision.