May 7th, 2013

May 7, 2013

Journal,

It's been a week since baby Ollie was born. He's still showing no signs, besides those eyes, of being one of them. He's growing quickly though, just like Sebastian said he would. He must have already gained another two pounds and grown another inch.

Bre was beside herself with joy. She finally had a piece of Jordan she could hold and love and she was able to get out of the house more and get back to work. The extra exercise, combined with her breastfeeding Oliver, had her dropping the baby weight rather quickly. It was alarming to see but Karen said not to worry about it, Bre always had a fast metabolism.

I was out in the garden, watering and weeding, when Bre joined me. She was carrying Oliver in a sling Kara had fashioned her from an old bedsheet.

"How's the morning treating you?" I asked, handing her a watering can to help.

"Great!" She smiled. "Ollie here is getting too big for his britches though, literally." She placed a hand on his little blonde head. "I need to make a trip back into town soon for more clothes."

"You aren't going anywhere yet." I told her, adding the trip to my mental things to do list.

"Any why's that?" She asked, placing her hands on her hips.

"Because, Ollie here isn't ready to face the undead." I leaned down, pulling the edge of the sheet from his face, stroking his soft skin. "Are you, Ollie? No he's not, nooo he doesn't want to see those nasty baddies."

Bre cleared her throat, pulling me out of baby talk mode.

"Are you done?" She asked, I nodded in reply. "Good. Now, to counter your argument. See that house over there?"

"Ya, I've been seeing it for awhile now."

"It's got four ready, willing and perfectly capable baby sitters behind those walls and I need a bit of a break. To be honest, all this baby talk and oohing and awwing are starting to make me gag. I'm ready to get back out there."

I let out a defeated sigh. "Fine but you're not going alone."

"I figured so much." She laughed. Oliie started fussing and she glanced down at him. "Time for this guys morning snack. I'm going to head back and feed him then make a list of what he needs. I'll see you later."

I watched as she walked back up the path, murmuring to Oliver the whole way, before turning back to the task at hand. I dug a trowel into the earth, digging at a rather strong weed, when the handle snapped off.

"Shit." I straightened up and glared at the broken off blade sticking out of the ground before heading toward the shed to look for a new one. I was just rounding the corner of the barn when I tripped over some overgrown weeds. I fell to the ground and quickly sat up, rubbing my, now bleeding, ankle. It hit something hard and unmoving in the brush on the way down.

I carefully stood, trying not to put too much weight on my aching ankle and looked at the raised pile of brush and weeds. What could be in there that's so hard? Bending over, I began pulling clumps of the dry brush from the ground.

"What are you up to?" Kara asked, coming up behind me.

"There's something in there." I pointed to the still very overgrown pile. She dropped down beside me and started taking handfuls of the weeds as well.

"So, Karen said the horses are up for another trip if you still wanted to take Bre to the baby shop-" She began.

"I didn't want to take her, I still don't think she should go out yet." I interrupted.