May 12th, 2013

May 12th, 2013

Journal,

I radioed Kate today, Karen wanted me to see about getting him a check up. I didn't think they'd send someone all the way over here just for a pediatric appointment but she quickly agreed. Apparently everyone was eager to read the files on Oliver.

I spent some time with Kara today too. She showed me the work she and Sebastian had been doing on the well. They'd rigged up a pulley so they could get a rope and bucket down to test the water. How were they going to test it, you ask? A birdbath.

Sebastian had pulled one out of the old shed and they were going to fill it with the well water. If the birds didn't get infected, it was safe. A simple but genius idea.

Connie was getting along nicely...for the most part. Bre still wasn't her biggest fan but she'd crack soon. With all the love Connie smothered Oliver with, there was no way Bre would last long with her standoff-ish attitude.

Even with Oliver's somewhat strange appearance and history, Connie had taken to him like a fly to honey. She knew that he was different, possibly even dangerous but she insisted that with extra TLC we'd be able to keep him in line.

She hadn't divulged much of her own history yet. Just where she was from. I know these things can take time though, so I'm not going to push it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I woke early and dressed, trying to get to the kitchen before Karen did. She hadn't been feeling well for a few days so I wanted to let her sleep in. As I got the camping stove ready to heat the stew I'd pulled from the pantry, I heard the soft gurgling of baby Ollie coming from his room upstairs.

I turned the flame from the stove on low and put the pot of stew on before turning toward the stairs. As I was on my way up to grab my nephew, Connie appeared at the top of the stairs, hugging him to her chest.

"No worries," she said softly, "I've got the baibin."

"I'm sorry, I was trying to make up some breakfast before Karen woke up. Guess I didn't hear him right away."

"Don't apologize Bruce. I was already wide awake, I didn't get much sleep last night. I figured I may as well make myself useful and let Breanna sleep in a bit." She was the only one who called her by her given name. "Oh, by the way, do you know where Breanna keeps his wipes?"

"Just below the changing table." I called out as I walked back into the kitchen. My voice must have carried because it wasn't long after that Kara came through the door, yawning.

"Coffee?" She asked.

"Kara," I turned to face her, "have we EVER had coffee?"

"Oh come on! When are you guys going to learn to use the percolator?"

"I can barely use a coffee pot. Franchesca was always the one who...."I trailed off, a small pain in my chest. It had been weeks since I'd thought of her.

"Bruce?" Kara asked after a silent moment. "Are you okay?"

I only nodded. I wasn't quite ready to talk about my own demons yet, hence the reason I wasn't pushing Connie for hers. I felt Kara behind me and I leaned back into her. She wrapped her thin arms around my waist and stayed there as I finished the stew.

"I'll get up early tomorrow and make the coffee." She whispered, placing a kiss on my temple before turning away. "I'm going to go wake the others, I guess now is as good a time as any to start the day."