April 13th, 2013

A/N:

Oh....my....goodness. I'm so, SO sorry for the long wait. There were a couple things I had to wait for before I could even write this out and then I just couldn't seem to get anything to string together or sound awesome enough to post. I finally just sucked it up and slammed out, what I hope, is a decent entry. This one was a very busy chapter and I'm hoping it came out alright.

Anywho, comment, vote, fan, but only if you liked that chapter.

April 13th, 2013

Journal,

It's been days since I had a chance to write. Five days to be exact. With so many daily chores to do and the initial fortification of our home, I just didn't have the time. Now that's all out of the way though and I've got a chance to recap on our activities from the past five days.

Our lookouts (or in home crows nests as Bre calls them) are finished and stocked up. Each held an m16, a rifle and an AK-47 with numerous mags and rounds stacked beside the windows.

We'd put up a pretty sturdy barbed wire fence as well. I'd liked to have made it a little larger to keep the undead farther away but we worked with the supplies we had and I was pleased enough. It was strong enough to keep them at bay but if too big a horde came, they could easily break through.

The bottom level of the house was completely borded up except for one door. The side door in the kitchen. It led straight out to the large garage and if needed we could easily cross the short distance to safety. There was also another exit on the top story, a rope ladder that we could pull up or drop out stayed by the large window in the master bedroom.

The horses were happier already, still very thin but now they had fresh food and the clear stream and you could see the pure joy they got out of it. They were more trusting, letting us saddle and bridle them without a fight. We figured we'd have to get them used to that again, so we went out everyday to put their gear on them for a bit.

The gardening was coming along nicely. We cleared the pasture the horses were originally in and did the planting there. The high fence around it would keep out any hungry animals and the stream running through the corner would help with the watering. Since there was no running water, there hadn't been for almost a year, we would have to make a lot of trips the short distance to the stream.

The corn, cucumber and lima beans should start to sprout within a week, maybe two depending on the soil temperature. Karen said the other plants could take about a month, sometimes even two, before they even sprouted. Regardless, we would have fresh food to, hopefully, carry us through the winter months.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The day was long, boring. I was glad that we'd finally found a place to call home but without the constant traveling and the adrenaline rushes from the thought that we could potentially end up zombie meat on any given day, I was getting restless. I needed some action. Something more than just the simplest carpentry and farming.

I stepped back from the freshly turned soil I'd been working on all afternoon. We were planting the alfalfa and the grasses in the third pasture and moving the horses in after it started to get overgrown. The grasses would be easier to manage, very little labor to deal with. After they sprouted we could just leave them be (for the most part) and hope the spring showers would be enough to keep them moist and watered.

I heard someone call from the path and looked over to see Kara walking toward me, a bottle of water in one hand and a bag of cookoes in the other.

"Hungry?" She called after climbing the fence.