Chapter Twenty-Five: The Not So Big Day

~Max~

Quickly the next morning I found myself in front of a three sided mirror two times the size of me. My dress was on and I looked beautiful, but it didn't feel right. I was getting married to a complete stranger today when the one that I actually love is either dead or being tortured.

My hair was put into a bun consisting of countless curls and braids in the back of my head. I was told to spin around, so sluggishly I did as I was told.

I could hear footsteps behind me and then a a gasp. Of course it belonged to my mother.

"Maxine, you look beautiful." She exclaimed.

I turned around to face her and I gave her a small smile. She came closer and pulled me into a hug. She pulled apart and lifted my chin up so she could look into my eyes.

"Oh sweetheart," she said sincerely " villains don't get happy endings. I'm sorry."

I looked away and turned around to again face the extremely high mirror. I saw the flower veil that my mother picked out yesterday be set carefully over my nearly done hair.

A single tear slide down the side of my face. I just realized that once I am married I won't be able to go back to Neverland. I'll
be a grownup and grownups aren't allowed in Neverland.

I wiped the tear away before it could ruin the dress. I took in a sigh and held my head up.

"Let's just get on with this." I mumbled.

I turned around to be helped down off the stool in the middle of the mirrors. I forgot to mention that I hate heels too.

We walked down the hall and I had help with the dress so that the white fabric wouldn't get dirty being dragged across the floor.

At the entrance of the castle countless people that I've never seen or even heard of walked through the door carrying invitations. Each guest was being well spell checked I guess. Probably to check for intruders or someone not welcomed.

My mind instantly went to Peter, but the thought of him faded when I saw Hook walk in with his own invitation. My face fell. He would never leave Peter on his ship alone. Another tear fell as I realized that he was dead.

But why all the heavy guarding? If the threat was felt with then why go with all the protection. Unless-

"Max!"

I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of my mothers voice.

"Come."

I nodded and she took my hand and intertwined our fingers. With a gentle squeeze of my shoulders she led me through a maze of hallways in which I've never been before.

Soon we reached a giant sealed door and I realized that no one was helping me with the dress. This must be my mothers side only of the castle.

The Queen waved her hands and the seal unlocked opening an entrance into her vault. She stepped in. I hesitated at first. I didn't know what to expect, but as I pried in I began to get curious.

I stepped through to find my mother gazing in a corner of her 'vault'. I walked up behind her.

"Mom?"

She turned around with a wicked smile on her face. I stood there patiently. She fiddled with a ring around her finger. She then slipped it off and strung it through a chain and clasped it around my neck.

"What's this?" I asked.

"A gift." She croaked.

I nodded and turned to face her. I have her a weak smile and she placed a hand on my back leading me back to the main hall.