My Life As An Egyptian (Teresa)

A/N: This is a story written by one of my sisters, currently 12 years old. It's a school assignment and I thought it was cute. Of course, it's also highly edited (yes, by me). Enjoy!

Crack!! The sound of the whip made me flinch as it hit a slave, who then hurried down the hallway and into the shadows. Hello, my name is Bast, and this is something I see daily as the daughter of a pharaoh. You may think that my name is strange, but my parents named me after the Egyptian cat goddess with the same name. My father keeps her and the other gods and goddess happy here in Rosetta. Since my father's the pharaoh I have the choice to go to scribe school. Of course I wanted to, so here I am writing a diary about my life.

So my best friend Re–who is named after the sun god Re–and I were writing in our diaries when we heard a loud noise at scribe school so we raced over there. When we got there we found out that an important tablet was missing.

They were looking for the people who took it. The people who took it were from Alexandria. Re and I said we would go get the tablet, but it was very far away. We took a boat down the Nile River. Re's eyes glowed like diamonds. Days passed and we finally reached Alexandria. The tablet was in the middle of town.

There were a lot of guards nearby, so it would have been almost impossible to get to it. So when it was dark we hid in the bushes threw a rock away from us and they followed it. Then we ran up to the tablet, grabbed it, ran to where we hid the boat, and rowed it up the river. We docked about a mile from home. We started walking towards Rosetta when we heard noises behind us. Spinning around, we saw guards docking their boats. That's when we realized they had surrounded us. Re yelled, "Run!" to me as he ran up to the guards, creating a distraction. I grabbed the tablet and ran for my life as tears streamed from my eyes.

That was two years ago. I often think back on those days. I remember how Re saved me and all of Rosetta. After I left Re to die I took the tablet back to Rosetta and I was hailed as a hero, but everyone forgot about Re–everyone except me, for I could never forget Re.