Chapter Six: The Goblet of Fire

Once the hunky Durmstrang and the slutty Beauxbatons girls were finished, we had to sing the Hogwarts school song. The whole school stood together and with great pride sung the anthem, however I would liken it more to shouting than singing. I didn't know the words.

When we had finished, Dumbledore stood up again and began to talk about this year's competition - the Triwizard Tournament. 

"Now, I'd like to say a few words." He cleared his throat before continuing. "Eternal glory - that's what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament. But to do that, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks." 

I noticed the twins faces lit up in excitement - Fred's being one of shock and surprise whilst George's was a look of rebellion and badassery. 

"Wicked." They chorused. 

 "However," continued Dumbledore "the Triwizard Tournament is a tournament in which life threatening situations take place. Therefore, you must be as least seventeen to enter."

Suddenly there was an outburst from everyone. "But we turn 17 later this year!"

"There will be no argument" Dumbledore declared.

It couldn't have bothered me less until they mentioned that the prize was 1000 galleons. I couldn't see exactly why people were so eager to risk their lives..but 1000 galleons? With that kind of money, I could escape the Malfoy Manor and easily build a new life elsewhere!

After the outcry settled, Dumbledore simply waved his wand toreveal a large, golden goblet which emitted an undying blue flame.   

"The Goblet of Fire." he announced. "Anyone wishing to submit themselves to the tournament must write their name upon a piece of parchment, and throw it into the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly - if chosen, there's no turning back. As from this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun." 

After that, there were a few more notices before we were sent on our way to bed. I couldn't help but notice Fred and George's upset at the age restriction on participating in the Triwizard cup - they went on about it for the whole walk to the common room! I tried to say something to distract them..

"So where's the common room?" I asked, as we made our way up the stairs.

George gestured to a painting ahead of a woman with brown hair and a white gown. I scrunched my nose in the puzzled look and wondered exactly what he meant - that was until Fred walked up to the woman and whispered a few words. With that the frame of the painting became a door and opened to reveal a crimson and gold themed room with a roaring fire in the center.

"Welcome to the Gryffindor common room. Home of the Gryffindor's!" Exclaimed George before Fred edged closer to me and whispered "The passwords flutterwagon by the way." I smiled at him as we stepped into the room which seemed to be lit with golden fire.

We stopped at a staircase. "You sleep up there." Said George shortly as we all looked up the stairway.

"We're not aloud in there" Moaned Fred while George let out a laugh.

"One day we tried to break in" He said "Got a detention when we were caught by McGonagall." Fred's face lit up with a smirk.

"Even though we were only half way up the stairs." He added.

"Why didn't you run?" I asked.

"Because the door can detect whether the person entering is a girl or a boy." Said George.

We moved past the staircase and came to another. "We sleep up there." They said together.

Just as we were about to move on a boy with black hair, round glasses and I lightning bolt scar on his forehead approached us. "Hey Fred, George." He said with a warm smile.

The twins replied in unison: "Hey Harry"

"This is Harry Potter" George said, gesturing to the boy. He didn't need to tell me - I knew exactly who he was..He was the reason my father was gone. I didn't know whether or not I should have thanked him for that.

"Hey" He said.

He's not as bad as Lucius has made him out to be.. I mused.

"I guessed as much by the scar" I said. "I'm Ella" My voice went a little wavy as he shook my hand - his touch was almost like an electric shock, as though we were connected.

He was two years younger than me and yet I feared him. I didn't understand why, but it felt like he knew me, like he knew that I was connected to the man who murdered his parents.

"I saw you at the front, looks like you had a bit of a fight with the hat." he said, smiling.

"Yeah it got a little...personal between me and him. it. that. thing. Whatever." I smiled, not really knowing what to say. I felt awkward with him but my relief knocks me over as a girl with curly hair and a spunky ginger walks over.

"What are you two up to now?" The ginger haired guy asked irritably. The twins rolled their eyes.

"Ella this is Ron, our brother." Said George.

"Mum fell over when he was born." Added Fred.

"That's why he's so ugly." Laughed George. A tiny laugh escapes my own lips. I tried to stop but it continued until I finally I managed to hold my mouth shut.

"A giggler. How cute." A girl, Lavender Brown emerged from the background. As she stops at our almost large group, her eyes light up at the sight of Ron.

"Hi Ron." She said. "Looking good."

Ron blushed slightly and stared at his feet. "Yea, hey." I could tell he wasn't great with the ladies, nor was he capable of dealing with having one talk to him. George sniggered bitterly at Lavender and grabs my arm.

"Come on, we'll let this mental love bird get on alone." He muttered in Fred and I's ear.

As we walked off Fred turned back to the group. "You're a right ladies man aren't you Ronnie?"

Ron scowled in the most unthreatening way. "Piss off."

We made our way to a couch in the corner of the room away from the fireplace and layed back on it.

"Mental?" I asked. "What's that supposed to mean?"

George scowled. "I think that what just happened was obvious enough. Lavenders been crazy as hell on Ron since he helped Harry a few years back in the chamber of secrets."

My mind darted to the time I read about the event in the prophet. It was ever since Harry defeated the basilisk in the chamber of secrets that things around the manor had been getting even more intense. Worst yet, I realized how the Chamber of Secrets once belonged to Salazaar Slytherin - an icon to my father. Just another reminder of how much of Hogwarts carries the past of the Dark Lord.

Fred continued "The Chamber of Secrets is -"

"Mmhm." I interrupted lightly. "I know. I read about it in the prophet." I didn't want to start a discussion on something so closely associated with you-know-who.

Fred shrugged and continued. "Anyway Lavender's a complete nutter. I swear she's mentally ill. Like err.....Schizo...err.."

"Schizophrenic?" I said.

"Yeah that's the one, crazy."

I shrugged. "Well even if she was that crazy there must be some good side."

"You believe that, that could have a good side?"

"I believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way."

A group of seventh years passed by chattering. Among their discussion I heard one of them mention the Tournament. George grimaced.

"God I wish we could enter." George said. "That grinch must be nuts to think that it's unsafe for us."

I shrugged. "People do die in that tournament."

"That's what makes it so awesome!" Fred exclaimed. "It's not all safety-safety coddled by the ministry."

"We have to get in." Said George.

"Yea but we've got to be old." Fred muttered bitterly.

I shrugged. "What if we made an aging potion?"