CHAPTER 1 ~ Cali Girls

"GET OFF!!!" I screamed at the person I hoped to never see again. I didn't want this, I needed to get away. I somehow managed to get a handful of his black hair and pulled hard on it. He was taken aback by my actions and lost focus for a second, just enough time for me to crawl out from underneath him and run. And I did, I ran for my life, out the door and through these dark woods. I didn't know where I was going, as long as I kept going I was save.

That was until I tripped and fell face forward in a pile of branches. I felt a long sharp pain across my cheek, and when I thouched it I felt this thick warm liquid pouring out of it. Great, now I was bleeding aswell. Just when I thought the univers couldn't punish me anymore, it did.

"There you are. You bad girl. You are mine. Forever. NEVER Forget That." Just as he was about to grab my arm I jolted awake. It was a nightmare. Just a nightmare, nothing more, nothing less.

I tried not to overthink it too much and tried to sit up in my bed. I looked to my right and was greeted by a giant R5 poster on my wall. Even though I had never met them, they had helped me through so much. I could never repay them.

Even though I lived in sunny Los Angeles, I had never even went to one of their concerts. It's not like they weren't playing anywhere near but I somehow just never found the right place or time to go. Imagine meeting them though! What would I say? I'd probably make a fool out of myself, well let's hope that never happens then.

After another five minutes of daydreaming, I got up and walked over to the bathroom while opening up my Spotify app on my phone. I connected it to my speaker and a familiar tune started playing in the shower. I quickly undressed and turned on the hot water. Don't you just love a nice boiling shower in the morning?  

After giving a full concert I got out of the shower and wrapped my hair in a big towel. I tiptoed back to my room looking for clothes. Standing butt naked in front of my ginormous closet, I couldn't really decide what to wear. 

My mom always told me my closet was bigger than a clothing store and I had a crazy variety of clothes. But in all honesty, all I saw were plain, ugly, boring clothes. Nothing very fashionable. Some clothes I got as a present and therefor were immediately eliminated. Next I had the bad clothes I bought when my eyes were on vacation, no use in wearing those. And then last but not least my actually clothes that I could wear. Which was in my opinion pretty limited.

I quickly threw on a pair of light blue ripped skinny jeans and a black top. I also threw a hoodie over my head since it was almost Christmas and California was getting surprisingly colder. 

After finally deciding on an outfit I went back to the bathroom to do my hair. I had light brown straight hair and hazel eyes. Conclusion I was just an ordinary plain teenage girl. 

When my hair looked somewhat descent I walked back to my room and did my makeup, it wasn't much,  I just put on eyeliner, some almost unnoticeable lip gloss and a little bit of blush. 

I was quite content with my look when I was done. I quickly grabbed my backpack and ran downstairs to be greeted by my mom.

Did I mention my dad is barely ever at home. And when he is, he was either catching up on some sleep or working on his own stuff. This all meant that I almost never saw him, so it was mostly me and my mom. 

I mean, don't get me wrong. When I was little, I'm sure my dad and I did a lot of stuff together, but I was too young to remember any of that. So when he changed jobs, and we moved form London to Los Angeles, he disappeared out of our lives bit by bit.

Just because it was only my mom and I, didn't mean we were very close either. The main reason for this was my grandmother. She came to live with us after we moved to help my mom around the house and she had a say in everything. She would make all the decisions for my mom. It sometimes felt like she was more my mom than my actual mom.

Let me explain, a couple of weeks ago I wanted to go to this party so I asked my mom, she said yes at first but then my grandma heard of it and she said it was too dangerous, so no. And the answer would be just that. No. Which meant I could forget the party and believe me it's all but fun for a seventeen almost eighteen year old.

So when I came downstairs on that Thursday morning it didn't surprise me at all when I saw my grandmother in the kitchen quietly talking to my mom.

"Good morning Alex." Yes that's me Alexandra Marie messed up Brooks, okay the messed up part isn't in my actual name but you get my point.

"Hi mom, grandma." I dropped my backpack in the kitchen and walked to the garage to get my shoes, black converse to be exact. I had these amazing babies for almost 4 years, they were pretty worn out  but they were still my favorite. I put them on while I tried walking back to the kitchen but I almost fell so I sat down on the floor just outside the kitchen.

Maybe eavesdropping wasn't polite but I couldn't help it, especially not when someone's talking about you. I leaned a little closer so I could hear what my mom and grandmother were saying. 

"Did you see the clothes she was wearing? That's just highly inappropriate." I heard my grandma say.

"Yes mom, I did. And I agree. Those clothes look like they just came from good will. I mean holes? I certainly did not buy her those trousers" I could almost hear her shake her head disapprovingly. I rolled my eyes. Whatever. This was just an every day conversation a la casa de Brooks. Nothing I hadn't heard before.

"I think you're absolutely right. And she's been acting different lately too." My grandmother stated.

"I noticed, she's getting more impolite. Maybe it's that friend of hers. Z-something." She didn't even know my best friend's name, no surprise there.

"Maybe we could forbid her to see her, just keep her grounded from now on. That might solve her behavior." My grandma was really old fashion. Thank God she doesn't really know how a phone works.

"Maybe." My mom answered. I could tell she was thinking of something. Before they could make any other plans to ruin my life, I stood up from my hiding spot and walked into the kitchen.

Do they want me to become a social hermit? Did they really think I would just voluntarily ignore my friends? No way in hell! Most of the time she was all I had, she was the one person I could discuss all of my problems with. Her and my fiction world of course. Yes, it has come to that point. I pretended like I didn't just hear their entire isolate-me-from-the-world plan.

"I'm going to go, okay? I'll see you after school." I said kissing my mom and my grandmother on the cheek. I grabbed an apple so I had some sort of breakfast.

"Okay, come straight home from school and be safe." They would always be friendly in my face and just talk shit about me behind my back. 

"Okay, bye!" I shouted already out of the door. I walked onto the street. My school was only a few blocks away so I could easily walk every day. The weather was nice, at least I had that going for me.