Time to Come Home

Jiyeon’s reverie was interrupted by a knock on the gandola’s glass door. It’s been 3days since she went home, and the homecoming was sweet yet sad. Her father was all tears when she showed up on the door, and she couldn’t remember being hugged like that since she was a child. They had a heart to heart talk, and his father understood her feelings, though her dad still urged her to talk to Yunho. Yunho still looked hurt, but he hugged her tightly too, afraid to let her go. There she told him her fears, her insecurities and Yunho’s lips were tight in a thin line. He told her she was silly and had no basis at all to feel like that, and Jiyeon’s voice rose a little and they started to fight. Yunho rose to his feet and prepared to leave when Jiyeon whispered, “I just want you to love me for me.”

“And you left just because you thought I didn’t love you?”

“I left because I felt this is just a business deal, more of a marriage, and I cannot live like that.”

Yunho stiffened. He sighed. “You know I love you.”

“Being with you, I realized I have these childish thoughts about love. But being far away taught me what really love is.  It’s to sacrifice what I feel for what would make you happy. Yes, you could live with me, but could you live without me? “

“What do you want me to do, die for you?”

Jiyeon shooked her head. “I talked to dad.He will still entrust you with the estate, with everything. But he will not let me marry you anymore.”

Yunho looked surprised. “But, what will you do?”

“I’ll see the world. Go to places. I’ll study. Take up modelling. My 2 years in Japan taught me to be independent…to be whoever I wanted to be.”

Yunho nodded. And he turned to leave. But before he reached the door, he whispered, “I’ll be here if you realize that you still love me.”

Jiyeon answered back. “I still love you but no. I’ll be here if YOU realize that you really love me.”

Yunho didn’t have answer for that.

*****************************************************************

“A penny for your thoughts?”

Jiyeon smiled. Seung Ho was leaning on the door frame.

“This seems like a deja vu.”

Seung ho looked at her questioningly. Jiyeon smiled wider. “Nah, never mind.” SHe stood up for a hug that Yunho accepted warmly. “How are you oppa?”

Seung Ho grinned. “Still the same like before.”

“Leaving broken hearts along the way?”

Seung Ho feigned surprise. “How did you know?”

They laughed together on their own joke. When the laughter died down, Jiyeon just smiled. “I’m happy to see you Oppa.”

“Me, too Jiyeon. I’ve seen Yunho on the way to the house. How are you?”

“Well, we officially broke up.”

“You don’t love him?”

“Still do. More than ever. But I realized I cannot run away anymore. If he will not love me, I will accept that. And I learned to live my own life. Daddy understands. I’ll be leaving home by next week. Somebody offered me to be a model. “

Seung Ho’s eyebrow’s rose. “Really?”

Jiyeon smacked Sung Ho’s chest. “what do you mean by that?”

Seung ho eyed her from head to toe. ” Well…”

Jiyeon laughed. I’ll try it first if not..” She shrugged. “I want to go to college. Or go to Paris. Anywhere but here.”

Seung Ho felt sad. “So you’re really going to get out of here huh?”

“You bet.”

Seung Ho disarranged her hair. “I’m going to miss you. You just came back and you’re going. Again.”

“Don’t worry oppa, I’ll come back when Yunho realized he loves me, for real. When that happens, it’s for keeps.” Jiyeon stood up and went for the door when she remembered something.

“Oh, oppa, I’ve got something a love letter for you. It’s a little bit late but I hope  …”

“What is this?” Seung Ho as he unwrap the box.

“Something that was long overdue.”

With that Jiyeon left.