Wedding Day

“This is your wedding day. Cheer Up.” Jiyeon sniffed and Yunho tickled her. Jiyeon forced a smile.Yeah, it’s my wedding day, she thought. Mine only. A tear trickled on her cheek and she bushed it away quickly. Thinking about her wedding makes her sadder. She’s a realist. She knows that this is purely business and that Yunho would never feel the way she loves him. She wouldn’t be this sad if her bridesmaid, Ji Eun would come. But that phone call when Ji Eun left for Seoul was the last time they talked. She was angry at her for leaving suddenly but after a month, she knows she wouldn’t be angry for long. But Ji Eun never called back. She tried to call her but the operator says it’s out of service area. She called at Ji Eun’s house, but her mom said she’s staying at the dorm already. She just promised Jiyeon that she will tell Ji Eun that she called. And now she’s getting married without her bridesmaid. She never felt so alone in her life.

“Jiyeon?”

She was suddenly jolted back to the present, and Yunho was waving a hand in front of her face. She gave a blank smile. Yunho hugged her. “it’s okay. We’re going to be alright.”

Jiyeon nodded absent-mindedly. Yunho excused himself to talk to her dad. Jiyeon sat down the bench in the veranda and fumbled with her corsage, staring blankly on the beautiful view of their garden.

“Nervous?”

She looked back and saw Seung Ho leaning on the door frame. She shook her head and looked back to the garden.

“What’s wrong Jiyeon?”

“Everything. I just feel… I dunno. I can’t explain this sad feeling inside me. I just want to cry.”

Seung Ho sat down beside her. Jiyeon continue to stare at her front but tears are uncontrollably falling from her eyes. “I just wish…. I just wish Ji Eun’s here…she would know how to cheer me up…”

Seung Ho stiffened on the mention of her name. He felt bad that Ji Eun wouldn’t come and he knows it’s because of him. But he cannot even bring himself to tell anyone what really happened. And now his future-sister-in-law feels down because of him.

“Uhm, maybe she will come, you know… she knows today is your wedding right? She will surely come. I’m sure she wants to surprise you. So cheer up and don’t cry anymore. Your nose is as red as a tomato.” He teased. But Jiyeon continued to cry.

“Do you think I’m doing the right thing Seung Ho? Getting married?”

“What do you mean?”

“Would you prefer to be with someone you love but doesn’t love you back? Or to someone you do not love but loves you unconditionally?”

“Why are you asking these things?”

“I know it is my duty to my father to help him on this business. I know it will hurt him if I withdrawn from this marriage, he loves Yunho as his own son. But will I be happy with the person whom I love so much but doesn’t really love me?”

“Yunho does love…”

“He treats me like a little sister, someone he can be amicable with, but not really not someone as his equal. Maybe I am just too young, too naive. He never ever told me how much I matter to him, that he loves me, or he needs me. He is fond of me and indulge me with what I want to do..”

Seung Ho stared at Jiyeon with shock. “So what do you want to do now?”

“Could you help me to get out of here?”