Can we be friends?

“Where are you going on this ungodly hour?” Seung Ho grumbled to his brother. Despite going home very late this morning, his brother is whistling and walking very briskly in the house. “I’ll go horseback riding with Jiyeon today.” “Oh.” “Want to come?” “And what, become your chaperone? No way.” “Maybe Ji Eun will come with us. Did you talk to her?” “Not really.”

Yunho stopped dressing. “what do you mean, not really? Seriously Seung Ho I thought you apologized already?!”

Seung Ho, despite himself, rolled his eyes. His brother could be a nagger sometimes. “I mean I didn’t say sorry or anything but…”

“But what?”

“Well, I kind of saved him from Seulong the Swansoo. And I gave her my coat. That dress of hers could give her pneumonia. So couldn’t that be counted as an apology?”

“I don’t think so brother, considering you gave her a fright when you made a shot near her.”

“Okay, so I suck at saying sorry. I’ll properly say sorry when we see each other again.”

There’s a strange glint in Yunho’s eyes. “No you don’t. Why don’t you go with us today? I bet Ji Eun will go with Jiyeon. And then you’ll talk to her.”

“What?No way, Hyung. No way I’ll go on a double date with you.”

“I didn’t say it will be a date.”

“Well, with you and Jiyeon around, I bet it will turn that way.”

“I’m serious Seung Ho, or I’ll tell dad. I’ll go ahead at Jiyeon’s. I’ll wait for you there.” And with that he’s gone.

Not wanting to cause his dad a problem, he went to shower and afterwards, get dressed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. The bicycle is sturdy, you go ahead.” Ji Eun waved enthusiastically to Jiyeon and Yunho. “I won’t be far, I’ll just go around the estate. Enjoy your ride”. Jiyeon looks doubtful, but she caught the message in Ji Eun’s eyes. Go ahead and know each other well. She nodded. She gestured to Yunho and they trotted away. Jiyeon seemed to challenge Yunho because he laughed, but prepared to make his horse gallop at a moments notice. Jiyeon made her horse gallop suddenly but Yunho was not surprised. He also made his horse gallop and run after Jiyeon. Jieun smiled at the couple. They look happy, but this is just the beginning.

With a happy heart, Ji Eun slung the guitar to her back and rode the bike prepared to her. The couple rode to the east, so she decided to west, so not to bother them. She biked to a tree-lined path, towards the flowered-filled fields and grassy plains. She went around the lake and find a suitable place to sit down and laid a blanket. She took out her notebook and guitar and started to strum some lines.

Her thoughts went back to Jiyeon, looking at Yunho. She closed her eyes and tried to string some lines.

“My eyes keep going to that white face

Why don’t I even get sick of you?

When you slightly smile at me, I really go crazy

How can you be so pretty baby?”

Seung Ho raise his hat from his eyes. What’s that sound? He looked around and find a girl, sitting beneath a tree, few feet to where he was sleeping. She was singing? What an angelic voice. She was writing and humming and strumming. So she’s writing her own song? Hmmm… cannot contain any longer, he jumped from the tree, to her much surprise.

Are you following me?

Ji Eun was in serious mode, when something jumped from the tree beside her. Frightened, she lets out a piercing scream. Thinking it was a wild animal, she run behind a tree and held his guitar like a club, ready to hit something. Then the voice laughed but ask, “Are you following me?”

Ji Eun wanted to hit him. She really would. But the guitar is very expensive and she bought it herself from her savings. Surely she won’t ruin her guitar just for him. So she decided to look for pebbles and throw it at him. He shield himself with his hands but still she hit him. Many times.

“Okay,okay, I’m so sorry.Please, stop.”

Chest heaving from throwing a lot of stones, Ji Eun stopped. “How dare you scare me like that! Why do you always like to scare the wits out of me!”

“Because you’re cute.”

“Stop teasing me!”

“You’re cute when you’re angry.”

Ji Eun fell silent. Then she look at him. “Who are you? Am I in your property again?Why are you here?”

“Whoa, slow down. I’m Yoo Seung Ho.No you’re not. I’m here because I am hiding from Yunho.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want to be a chaperone.”

With that Ji Eun laughed. Seung Ho stared at her. She’s pretty when she laugh like that. It’s like the sunshine broke out from the clouds.

“I apologize for what I did the fist day you came here. We were having threats with thieves you know, herding our cow. I didn’t mean to frighten you.’

“Yes, you did.”

“Okay, so i did. But I didn’t mean to insult you.”

“Apology taken, since you helped me last night.Oh, I left your jacket at the mansion..”

“I’ll get it next time I go there.”

Nothing left to say, they fell into a friendly silence. Ji Eun was glad she know who this stranger is, and upon looking inside her, she can’t find any ill feelings toward this guy.

“What were you singing earlier?”

“Ah, that. Nothing. I just have this jumbling music in my mind and sometimes, I like to let it out. So there…”

“Are you a singer?”

“Aspiring to be.”

“You got great voice.”

“Thank you”.

Silence.

“Could I hear it? I mean if you don’t mind?”

“Really? Well..okay.”

And she sung. And he was mesmerized.