that was my first...

“I got invited to the campfire.” Ji Eun started carefully. “By Eun Bin.”

“Oh. I presume you said yes?”

“Will that be a problem?”

At her surprised, Jiyeon sighed. “Well… we thought we are not actually going to attend this year. Having the wedding preparation as an excuse.”

“Oh. Was it because of Eun Bin?”

“Well… yes and some other reasons.”

“You were having problems with Eun Bin?”

“Nah, she’s really nice. It’s just that… we were classmates in elementary before I studied in Seoul. She stayed here. She loved Yunho forever. At one point when we were in Seoul, she got very sick. We thought she’s going to die. So Yunho was there for her. But then she’s okay now, and Yunho got into this marriage arrangement with me. Add to the promise he did 10 years ago, he felt he needed to take responsibility. They broke up.”

“None of this is your fault.”

“Well, I didn’t actually tell them to break up. I let Yunho date whoever he wants. I didn’t even expect him to take up with his promise. But Yunho needed to make this business deal not for us, but for his dad. I feel guilty for Eun Bin.”

Ji Eun was silent. She felt for Eun Bin, for she seems to be very nice. But she is afraid for Jiyeon. She might say otherwise, but she feels that Jiyeon also loves Yunho. There’s a possibility that if Yunho have feelings to Eun Bin, at the end, he might leave Jiyeon. Ah, the pain of first loves.

“Anyway if you want to go, I’ll tell Yunho to come as well. It might also be a great idea to spend the last summer with our friends, before getting married. That’s it! I’ll tell Yunho to bring lots of meat, let’s have barbecue!” Jiyeon went back to her enthusiastic self and Ji Eun wished everything will be alright on Saturday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JiEun was startled by a sound on her window. God, what time is it?, she thought. Rubbing her eyes, she looked at her wrist clock. Five in the morning. What the heck? It seems like someone was throwing pebbles on her window. Pulling back the curtains, she saw a figure under the tree. She opened the window and the figure waved at her.

“JiEun!”

“Sung Ho-ssi?”

“Wanna go riding with me?”

“But…?”

Seung Ho indicated a basket on his hand. “Coffee?”

JiEun groaned. “Ok, wait for me for 10 mins.”

“Make it 5.”

“Impossible.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wow, it’s pretty here.” Ji Eun marveled at the sight in front of her. The lake was clear and sparkling in the morning sunlight, seems to be calling out to her. She run towards the banks and removed her shoes and wallow on the shallow water. The water was cool and refreshing and JiEun played and kick the water to make splashes. She turned to Seung Ho and laughingly thanked him. “Thank you for bringing me here!”

Seung Ho smiled at JiEun. The morning sun had already risen somewhere at her back, creating like a halo around her. She’s beautiful, he thought.Ji Eun ran and splashed and played with the water like a small child, warming his heart. Never again would he take for granted mornings like these.

He held up a flask to Ji Eun. “Just as promised. Coffee and Danish rolls.”

They ate silently for a while, just the chirping of the birds could be heard. A beautiful day, just perfect.

“I wish I have days like these in Seoul.” JiEun nibbled with her rolls as she stare blankly ahead.

“Why, what’s your typical day like?”

“Well, school, then special school in the afternoon.”

“Special School?”

“well, it’s like… a singing workshop.”

“ah so you really are a singer.” he mused.

“Why?Don’t I look like one?”

“Not really.”

Ji Eun pouted. Seung Ho reached over and pinched her cheeks. He couldn’t help himself, she’s just too cute.  Ji Eun slapped his hand away then pretended to look annoyed.

“Oh c’mon, what kind of songs do you sing?”

“well, any old songs, my dad’s favorite songs from his generation. Or I write my own.”

“Really, so what do you write about?”

“what do most people like to hear? Love, life, friendship…any experiences.”

“Have you been inlove?”

Ji Eun shook her head. Seung Ho held his hand on his chest, feigning a surprised gasp. “How could you be inexperienced in love at that age?How could you write songs without even experiencing it?”

“Do you have to experience it in order to feel it?I could just observe the people around me. Human Nature is like that. It’s the same to all types of people, from different times and places. “

“How come you never been inlove?”

“Too busy.I study and currently working hard to be a singer. I couldn’t lose my focus. Probably when I achieved my goals that’s the time when I’ll let myself fall inlove.”

Seung Ho lets out a loud tsk sound. “If that will be the case, you’ll find love when you’re in you’re thirties. What is your ideal guy?”

Ji Eun looked thoughtful. “Well, someone who is well-mannered, sweet, thoughtful, respectful, driven but will be supportive of me, outgoing.”

“Ouch, seems like a tall order. Looks like you’re talking about me.”

Ji Eun pretended to look horrified but laughed. “Seriously, Seung Ho-ssi. I forgot to say humble.”

“Why, you don’t like me?”

Ji Eun stared at Seung Ho disbelievingly. His eyes looked like it’s laughing but there was a catch on his voice that sounds like expectancy.

Ji Eun tilted her head and looked at him carefully, assessing if he was joking.

“Are you saying that, you think I would like you?”

Seung Ho smiled. “Thinking? Slight. Wishing that you like me? Yes. Because, hell, I like you, too.”

With that, Seung Ho kissed her.