From the Heart

Austin turned around, surprised by Ally's tone. "Hate what?" he asked, also putting his stapler down.

"This."

"Really clearing things up for me, Ally."

"Whatever it is that's between us right now. The curtain we're both hiding behind. I hate it. I'm in the same room as you, but it feels like I'm sharing it with a stranger."

"I agree. I know you. But I don't know you, not today." They didn't say anything for awhile.

"So...what now?" Ally wondered.

"So I think maybe we could start over," Austin suggested.

"Start over?"

"Yea. Like this." Austin positioned himself next to Ally. "Ally Dawson, will you be my girlfriend?" Ally's face, stone hard a minute before, cracked a genuine smile.

"What do you think? Of course I will." Her voice was serious, but happiness and relief danced in her eyes. Austin leaned in, his soft lips so close.

But Ally put a finger on his lips just before they made contact. "Wait." Austin straightened up, confused. "Sorry. Believe me, I do want to kiss you. Just hold on." She rushed across the auditorium, shutting and locking the door. "There," she called. No need for anyone to walk in on us. Plus, I don't wanna be sent back to history." Austin strolled over to her.

"Am I hearing the nerdy Ally Dawson deny school?" Ally rolled her eyes, laughing.

"Hey, it was a boring class. And you should be thanking me for giving us some privacy! Now where were we?"

Austin pulled her closer, their faces again centimeters apart. "I believe we were somewhere around...here," he whispered, before their lips met.

Ally's stomach tingled with love as the kiss deepened. His lips were warm, and she was reminded of their first kiss, because now, like their first kiss, whatever they had been hiding, whatever it was that they were afraid of, all of that seemed to melt away. When they finally took a breath, Austin smiled at her, a real smile, and she beamed back at him. Their noses were nearly touching.

But then Ally's expression turned solemn. "Austin, I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" he questioned. As far as he was concerned, she had just pretty much completed him.

"I'm sorry for shutting myself off from you. Sorry for not just forgiving you when you apologized, even though you did pretty much nothing wrong. I guess those things make me a pretty bad person, huh?" She winced.

"Ally, no. You're not a bad person, no way. I did the same, blocking out my emotions in front of you. People make mistakes. We made mistakes, but that's past, so it doesn't matter to me anymore. And that kiss kinda made up for it, too," he added.

Ally felt a single tear forming in the corner of her eye. His words were much to nice, after what she'd done.

Austin used his thumb to wipe the tear away as it rolled down her cheek.

Ally wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "I love you, " she murmured before kissing him again. It was shorter this time, though, because after a few seconds, someone knocked on the door. "Ha, aren't you glad I closed the door now?" Ally asked, with an I told you so kind of look. Austin shook his head, smiling.

The fireworks running through his brain were already dying down as Ally stepped towards the door, away from him. He hadn't wanted that kiss to end.

A group of ninth graders stood on the other side of the door, holding projects.

"Oh, hey guys," Ally greeted them, her voice cheerful. "Okay, there's a list of which science categories correspond to which table over on that wall, so set up your projects on the correct table, wherever there's room." The freshman began spreading out over the auditorium. At the back of the group, a dreaded face. Indigo. But unlike other times, Indigo completely ignored Austin and Ally's presence, averting her eyes from Ally to stare at the floor, taking a path that avoided Austin completely.