Something's Up

Austin dropped his gaze to stare at a coffee stain on the carpet in Dez's room. He tried to argue with Dez, but for whatever reason, no words would escape his mouth.

"I-I don't know what you mean exactly," he finally managed to blurt out.

"Oh I think you know exactly what I mean."

"No I don't!"

"Austin, don't lie. Remember eighth grade?" Dez reminded him.

Austin did remember eighth grade. It was the first time he'd ever noticed Ally, the shy, sensitive, beautiful girl in the corner. Technically, they hadn't met until a little over a year ago, but she'd been on his mind long before that. She was...different. And he liked that.

But even when he finally got to know Ally, he was positive he had no chance she would ever feel the same way. So he pretended his feelings disappeared. He tried to convinve himself they no longer existed. 

But they did. "I-I-" he began again, but was cut off by the doorbell. Austin was at Dez's place so often, he was totally comfortable answering the door at his friends house like it was his own. He opened the door. "Ally?" She was standing there, the moonlight shining softly on her chestnut brown hair. Austin was in such awe, he forgot his words. Luckily, Ally spoke first, giving him time to remember them.

"Hi Austin! You guys ran off so fast you forgot your cell phone on top of the piano," she explained, handing it to him. Their hands touched, and Austin could feel a light storm of butterflies in his stomach.

"So...uh, wanna come in?" Austin asked, hoping Ally couldn't detect the eagerness in his voice.

"Austin, you can't invite people inside someone else's home!" Ally exclaimed, nudging him playfully.

"Why? Dez won't mind." Ally laughed.

"Oh, Austin. You're so clueless sometimes. It's cute. Now go ask Dez if I can come in," she commanded.

"Okay fine. Just wait here, I guess, if you're going to refuse to let me let you in." Austin turned around and walked downstairs so he was out of Ally's view.

Wait, hold the phone. Did Ally just say I'm cute?! Coming from any other girl, it wouldn't have affected him. But Ally was different. And she didn't say things like that. To anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoa there Ally. Did you just call Austin cute? Now he's gonna know something's up!

I know, but it's true...he's just so...

Adorable? Gorgeous? The guy of your dreams?

Maaaayybe...

Austin returned a minute later. "Dez says it's fine," he said rolling his eyes in mock annoyance. The two of them walked down to Dez's basement.

"Wow Dez, you have an awesome TV!" Ally exclaimed.

"Thanks Ally. That there took a whole summer of feeding llamas to earn enough money." Ally slowly turned her head to stare at Dez. Then she turned to Austin, who just shrugged.

"I'm almost scared to ask, but what did you need my margarine for?" she questioned.

"I wouldn't go down that road if I were you," Austin warned.

"So what were you guys doing here before I showed up?" Ally wondered.

"Well Austin was just saying how-" Dez began, but was interrupted by Austin.

"-I was just saying how I think we should start the movie now," he improvised, elbowing Dez. "Now go get the movie, Dez." Dez gave Austin a look, but opened a cabinet and grabbed a movie. Confused, Ally sat herself down in a beanbag chair, and looked warily between the two boys. Dez started the movie.

Right in the middle of the movie, Ally's phone buzzed in her pocket. She took it out to see that she'd received a text. But she was surprised to see it was from her dad.

Hello Allt its tome to comehume n0w.

Ally laughed. Austin picked up the remote and paused the movie.

"What's so funny?" he asked. Ally showed her friends the text.

"Is that supposed to say 'Hello Ally it's time to come home now?'" Dez translated.

"Probably. I wish I could stay, but since my dad learned to text just to tell me to come home, something might be wrong..." Ally stood up quickly.

Austin stood up too. "I should go too Dez. My mom did tell me to be home before 10:00. It's my dads birthday tomorrow and she wants everyone awake early so we can surprise him." It wasn't exactly a lie. It was his dads birthday, but his dad was on a business trip in Germany and they were going to celebrate later. Ally didn't know that, though. 

Austin and Ally stepped outside into the cool November air. "I'm really worried, Austin. What if something terrible happened to him?" Austin put a comforting arm around Ally's shoulder.

"Don't worry Ally. If something that bad had happened to him, he wouldn't have been able to tell you to come home." Ally sighed.

"I guess so. But what if something happened to like another family member, or he hurt himself but his phone was in his pocket so he texted me to come home so I wouldn't worry, but when I get home, he'll be-"

"Ally. Calm down. It's gonna be okay," Austin assured her. "I bet it's the opposite- he has really good news and he was so excited to tell you, he found out how to text to get you home faster."

"Maybe. I just- you know me. I get overwhelmed with everything. I'm sorry." Ally apologized once she had calmed down a little. They kept walking. Then Austin realized his arm was still around Ally. He didn't know what to do about it. He was afraid that if he kept it there for too long, Ally might feel uncomfortable, but if he took it away, it might be awkward. He kept it there for the time being, until they reached Ally's house. From the outside, everything looked fine.

"See? There's nothing to worry about." Ally looked slightly relieved. She turned to Austin and gave him a huge hug.

"Thanks for making me feel better. See ya tomorrow Austin," she said as she walked briskly towards her front door. When she reached it, she turned around and waved. Austin waved back, smiling.

But he was still worried for Ally. What he'd said to comfort her, he hadn't quite believed himself. Something wasn't quite right.