Looking Back

"Hey buddy," Dez said, casually walking into the practice room. Austin looked up but didn't greet his friend in return.

"What's wrong with her?" he asked, though the question was more to himself. "Why won't she tell me what's going on?" Dez answered anyways.

"We'll, I don't know much. Trish and I just saw Ally go by and leave the store, looking pretty upset. Whatever it is she's hiding from you, it's probably because she's scared. You need to really let her see that she can trust you." he explained.

"Wow Dez. That's pretty good advice. Thanks."

"See? That's why they call me 'The Love Whisperer,'"

"Dez, I think we've been over this before. No one calls you that," Austin whispered. "Now how should I let Ally know that she can trust me?"

"We'll, you might want to follow her and see if she's alright," Dez suggested. "Trish already went after her, but I have a feeling she'd rather talk to you."

"Thanks again dude," Austin said, standing up. He and Dez did their handshake.

"What up!" Austin dashed out the door. Dez saw him reach Trish, who seemed to be returning from the other direction. They spoke for a moment, then Austin was off again. Somehow, a smile formed itself on Dez's face. Trish was heading his way.

Austin jogged out of the mall and headed for the library three blocks down, where Trish had told him Ally was headed. He probably could have guessed she would end up there anyways though. There were two things that always helped Ally calm down when he couldn't. Books and music. Right now, music didn't seem to be helping.

When Ally first came into view, she was leaning against the wall on the side of the library. As he neared another block, he realized she was singing, her eyes closed and lips moving. He silently crept closer so he could hear what she was singing. Austin didn't recognize it. He had a feeling she was making it up on the spot, because her lyrics seemed pretty relatable to her situation.

Some things will stay in the shadows

Before they become too real

I never wanted to hurt you

But I can't let you see how I feel

I know you're trying to understand

So come closer boy, give me your hand

Though I don't deserve your smiles from above

'Cuz I'm keeping this a secret love.

She looked around to find Austin staring back at her from across the street.

He could sense that Ally was about to break out in a run, and sure enough, not five seconds later she was tearing down Palmetto Street. Austin didn't want to make Ally feel like he was forcing any secrets out of her. But he also felt obligated to chase after her.

Fortunately for him, Ally was already low on energy due to her emotional overload. Soon enough, she had to slow way down, and Austin could easily catch up to her. When she realized that Austin had gained on her, she attempted to run again, but he had already put his hand firmly on her shoulder.

"Look," he began. "Running away is only making things worse. I don't want to make you say anything. Something's going on that you're not telling me. And don't tell me nothing's wrong, because I know that's not true."

"Yeah," Ally murmured. " I kinda made that obvious, didn't I?" She gave him a sad smile. But it was still a smile, and at this point, that meant everything to him.

"Just a little," he replied. His lips closed in on hers.

"Wait!" She interrupted. "Stop. I can't kiss you. Not until I've explained. I need...I need you to know."