TWENTY SIX

IT'S NEW YEAR'S EVE AND LAST NIGHT WAS LIKE A DREAM.

It's a lovely Friday morning. He already mapped out a plan for the whole day and it's all about preparations right now. With a cup of coffee in his hand, he rubbed the back of his neck with his freehand and smiled, biting his lower lip. He tried remembering the feeling of last night.

There was so much to remember, actually. But he focused himself from what's really tugging the strings of his heart. Dawn kissed him. On his cheek, which was kind of sweet and short and he wished he kissed her fully on the lips. But nevertheless, she still kissed him. Kissed him! He grinned widely to himself as he went to the balcony. Mothers were busy taking their children to their schools. Stores were starting to open for business. A traffic jam in the street. Birds singing. A typical morning, really. But not today. Not anymore.

"Good morning, Manila." he greeted as he raised his cup to the sky and grinned.

He went back to the kitchen and started making almond butter sandwich for him. He thought of the leftover hot pot and maybe he could heat it and eat it for breakfast. After downing his coffee, he made another one as he took a big bite of his sandwich. Everything felt brand new.

"I should probably invite her." he said. He took his mobile phone and was surprised there was already a message from her.

Catherine Giraffe!! (8:06 AM): Thank you for last night. I really had a great time. Maybe we can bake the next time I come over?

He giggled like a little girl. Instead of answering her message via text, he decided to give her a call. After a few seconds, Dawn finally picked up.

"Why are you calling me so early in the morning?" Dawn groggily asked.

"Wait, weren't you already awake?" Eric replied, worried.

"I am. I was. But I fell asleep again."

"Right away?" Eric started laughing. He heard Dawn said something inaudible. "Catherine?"

"Mmm?"

Eric held the phone near to his ear. "There's a party going on in Turning Pages tonight and there's this acoustic indie band playing. Nothing really fancy. I want you to come." he said.

"What time is it?" Dawn asked, her voice clear now. "The party I mean."

"Seven p.m. It's just an intimate affair. All of our friends and some regular guests are going to be there, even my mother and sister. It's going to be great!" Eric informed her.

"Oh my God, I'm going to meet your mother. The idea is already making me nervous. Should I bring something over? Food? Wine? Anything?"

Eric laughed. "No. It's cool. All I need is you."

There was another inaudible sound coming from Dawn's line then Eric heard her laughing quietly. "You must stop saying inappropriate things like that, Basil." she said.

"That's not even close to being inappropriate, Catherine." Eric teased.

"Whatever you say. I need to hang up now. The lady needs to sleep after a long night last night."

"You're not a lady, you're a giraffe."

"Good night, Basil. See you later." Dawn replied and hung up on Eric.

He grinned. He was about to take a shower when there was a knock on his door. It could be Dawn messing up with him. So he sauntered toward the door with a smile on his face and opened it. He was clearly disappointed to see that it's only the mailman.