TWENTY FOUR

ERIC STOOD QUIETLY IN THE CORNER OF THE WAITING ROOM.

His hands deep within the pockets of his jacket, his mind somewhere else wandering. Being in the hospital still gave him that eerie feeling he didn't like. But today was a special day, not only because it was Christmas, but because his mother was going to be discharged today. Cathy, his sister, already had everything planned. The excitement was overflowing in his body because this would be the first time that they're complete as a family this Christmas.

Ever since the death of his father, he spent the holidays alone, making excuses not to go home, spending the days locked inside his apartment room, wasting away. It was pitiful, he knew that, but Christmas and New Year wasn't the same without his old man. But this year, he would make everything count. He would buy presents, cook for his family, cherish the moments while they still last. Maybe watch a movie or two or even go out to town.

Everything will be okay, he thought.

And yet, at the back of his mind, was the burning image of Dawn and her crestfallen face the night he last saw her. He sighed heavily through his nose as he felt someone tapped his back. He turned around to see Cynthia.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." she said with an apologetic smile.

"I don't mind." Eric replied, smiling back.

Cynthia handed him an envelope and a pen. "I need you to sign these papers and everything will be good to go! Cathy's already done with the move out and Mrs. Flores just needs to talk to the doctors first."

"Thank you for everything, Cynthia."

"You're always welcome, Eric." Cynthia smiled. "It's a good thing you're spending the holidays with your family. That's pretty new."

"Well, things change and I'm not a pitiful asshole anymore." Eric said.

The two of them shared a round of hearty laughter.

"But seriously, are you okay? I mean, I hope things are okay with you and Dawn." Cynthia said, looking intently at Eric and when he didn't respond, she furrowed her brows. "What's wrong?"

"Do you want to take this conversation elsewhere?" Eric asked.

"S-sure. My shift's done anyway. Let me just change."

After a few minutes, they found themselves sitting opposite at a quiet café near the hospital. Christmas songs were singing in the background and there was a lively chatter in every corner of the café. Delightful baked goods were displayed at the counter and every once in a while, a barista would call out the names of the people and give out their orders. Eric found everything relaxing even though it's bustling inside the café.

Opposite to him, Cynthia watched him took a small bite of the banoffee pie he ordered. It's always been his favourite and she remembered that one time she made a banoffee pie from scratch. She ended up burning the dulce de leche and sprinkling too much of the lemon juice to the sliced bananas but in the end, Eric still ate the whole thing and proclaimed it was the best banoffee pie he had ever eaten. Those were one of the best times of her life and she would do anything to relive those moments with him.

But everything's changed now. Cynthia looked at him and saw someone important to her and she thought that she would always love him in some way, in any kind of way. But she's not in love with him anymore and that's probably one of the saddest thing in the world.

"What is it that you want to talk about?" Cynthia spoke first, putting down her cup of jasmine tea.

"This is probably embarrassing but I need your advice." Eric said, leaning on his chair.