FIVE (R)

"YOU DIDN'T, DID YOU?" ZEUS ASKED, CONCERNED.

Dawn was making the topping for her mini cheesecake cupcakes. A compote of fresh, delicious berries garnished with mint leaves. Zeus mumbled something but Dawn wasn't listening.

Instead, she looked at Zeus and smiled.

She has always believed that the best way to anyone's heart is through his or her stomach. She took a spoonful of the compote and nodded to herself. It was perfect.

Her love for baking came from her mother, who was the one who taught her all the wonders of baking. And although she took a different course in college, the raw passion for baking never went away. She remembered tailing behind her mother while she made fluffy, moist angel food cake and chocolate cupcakes. She would watch her beat stiff egg whites into wonderful meringue, fold in cake batter, and bake the best baked goods she had ever tasted.

They were always full of surprises. They tasted like home. Dawn loved every bit of it.

"You can't bail out like that all the time." Zeus shook his head, clearly disappointed.

"It felt wrong that time." Dawn replied.

"Then you shouldn't have come in the first place. Daniel called me earlier and he was furious. Like, how could someone in their right mind bail like that?"

Dawn nudged Zeus but Zeus shrugged her off.

"Look, Zeus. It's okay. I'm going to be okay." she reassured, smiling and thought of last night's conversation with her neighbor. "Someone enlightened my mind."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"The point is, if things are bound to happen, they will happen. Didn't you tell me that good things happen to those who wait?"

But Zeus was shaking his head.

"And in just a month's time, you will be married. You're going to be busy. New house, new families and friends. New life. It sounds promising. And believe me, I am happy for you." Dawn smiled.

"You make it sound like I'm leaving you." Zeus said quietly.

"You're not. You're my best friend. Friends don't leave each other, remember?"

Zeus smiled sadly and wrapped an arm around Dawn. "Of course."

It's going to be okay, she thought. Zeus was just getting married. He wasn't going away. He wouldn't be lost. He's still going to be there, from afar, looking after her, and probing for her when she's lost in her own. And she's happy. She really was. This time, she wouldn't think of anything negative about this big celebration.

The day went to a blur. It was busy during breakfast and lunch time.

Dawn yawned and stretched her arms. Zeus had to go home early because of a family dinner he forgot to attend with so she had to cover his shift. She was exhausted. Morning to evening shift made her feel like dying. She sighed and went to the employee's lounge to fix herself a cup of coffee. When she opened the door leading to the lounge, she bumped into someone. She looked up and shrieked loudly. It was Alex, the head pastry chef of Floured.

"I'm sorry! "Dawn apologized.

Alex glared at her but grinned right away. Dawn's heart skipped a beat. She smiled back.

Alex was the tallest guy she has ever known. He towered over her, 6'2 and all. He has broad shoulders, toned arms, and very slender, long legs. She had always envied his slender legs. His hair was brown and was on the long side. He always kept it tied with colorful hair bands. Dawn couldn't deny that Alex was handsome.