Chapter Fifteen

Harry’s POV

I lay on the hospital bed listening to what my mum is telling me. I knew I was going to be diagnosed with depression sooner or later; I just didn’t expect the wave would hit me so hard all at once. I asked about Brent and Trent, but they wouldn’t answer me. I don’t understand why they won’t tell me about my children. They’re the only kids I’m actually allowed to call mine.

Yes, I have Larry, but they don’t understand. I don’t feel like I can actually say ‘he’s my son’. I can’t because I don’t feel close to him. Of course he comes over to my house, but does he stay? No, Louis doesn’t allow it. Benjamin was the only kid I could call my own. He might have not been mine biologically, but he was my child by heart. He was so happy when he found out that I was going to adopt him. He was almost like Larry on his first Christmas and getting all those presents. How much more pain can I take? First I lose Larry, then it’s moved onto Ben, now all I want is Brent and Trent to be safe, but can anyone tell me about them? Apparently not.

I sit up in my bed and swing my legs to the side. I can practically feel the stares I’m getting from my family. I stand up, even though it probably isn’t a good idea. I hold onto the IV pole and start moving towards the door. No one is stopping me, so I might as well continue. I look at the numbers on the doors for room 317. Once I find the door, I step closer to it. In the little window by the door, I see Larry talking to Trent with a concerned look. I open the door gently, making sure they don’t hear me.

“What do you mean, ‘Mommy’s in the trunk.’? Is she in trouble?” Larry asks. His vibrant blue eyes - which he obviously got from Louis - shine with the light in the room. I watch Trent’s hesitant figure think. I can see that he’s contemplating on what to tell Larry.

He finally stops thinking and stares into my eyes. He doesn’t acknowledge me, but just answers Larry’s question. “Mommy’s in the trunk next to the eye and water.” I furrow my eyebrows. I can see confusion on Larry’s face. He knows that Trent isn’t one to avoid eye contact. I quickly knock on the door and walk inside.

Larry’s head turns towards me. He lifts his eyebrow in surprise. Either I look very old, or he’s surprised they let me out of my room. I’m going with the second option. “Whoa Dad, you look horrible. How much did you age during the time I was gone?” Larry asks standing up. I shrug to his comment. I haven’t seen him in a few weeks, well a month. I know he’s skyped with Louis during that time, but he doesn’t understand that it pained me when he didn’t even call to tell me how he was.

I don’t blame him though. He was with Jay and they were busy getting ready for the baby. Although the baby is months away, they wanted to get ready now. Larry stands next to as I look at Brent and Trent. Trent starts giggling obnoxiously, and points to us. “Larry, you look like Daddy.” he stops, then looks at me seriously, “Daddy, why don’t I look like you?” he tilts his head to the side.

Larry turns to me with a smirk he got from Louis. “I’ll let you explain the wonders of sexual reproduction to a five year old alone. Good luck,” he whispers trying to contain his laughter. I watch my 15 year old walk out of the room. I want to glare at him, but I can’t really. It was my fault for not teaching him about sex when he turned 13. Well, actually, I could blame Louis for it. He’s the one who taught him about sex during that time.

“Daddy, are you going to answer my question?” Trent slurs. I can tell he’s sleepy, so I can give him a short explanation of where babies come from. I should have Googled ways on how to tell a five year old about sex. I sigh and walk over to the bed with the IV pole. I sit down on the bed and think of a quick explanation.

“Trent, we don’t look alike because I’m not your real daddy, but I love you very much. You were made by someone else. To me, you will always be my real son.” I tell him. I would love to sugar coat everything, but that’s not going to be the best way to go with this. Perhaps he won’t even ask me about sex. He’ll just drop the subject.

“But then how was I made?” he asks with innocence in his eyes. Well, I spoke too soon. I internally groan. I just want to slap myself for saying ‘you were made by someone else’.

I suck in a breath and stare at into Trent’s eyes. It has to be something original. I don’t want to tell him lies about the stork then he would be a confused child when he grows up. “Well Trent, in the mommy, there’s an egg - flower.” I just want to slap myself right now. “And you’re the egg-flower inside mommy. So then the daddy has the fertilizer to help you grow! Then the egg-flower kept growing and growing until finally you wanted to come out to see your mommy and daddy.”

Trent looks at me and nods. He closes his eyes and falls asleep with his arms wrapped around his brother. I hear quiet snickering behind me. Niall’s son Jamie and Liam’s son Niall are standing there laughing. My eyes widen and I jump up to tell them to be quiet, but I end smacking my head against the IV pole. I groan loudly but stand up again and walk quickly to my hospital room.

Inside, I see Jamie and Niall telling their father’s what I just told Trent. You’ve got to be kidding me. I see Liam and Niall’s eyes first grow wide but then they start laughing. Larry is in the room as well and he’s on the floor dying of laughter. I huff at the embarrassment a six and four year old just brought upon me.

I walk into my hospital room and ignore their snickers. I lay down on my bed thinking about the past few months. First, my best friend died, I about have a mental breakdown, I adopted two five year olds, and now I’m in the hospital for very minor injuries and for having a problem with depression. What a beautiful year this turned out to be.

One by one, I hear my mates leave. I think they know I’m not amused by their snickering and I just want to be alone. Once I hear the door click close, I flip over and scream into my pillow. My body is starting to feel angry. To be honest, I’m not even sure why I’m so angry. I haven’t felt so angry in my life before. I start to take in deep breaths to stop myself from acting out. Images start to flash through my head. Most of the memories were from when Larry was seven years old. What happened back then? I took care of him the most, Louis didn’t even care. Why didn’t Larry see that? Was it because he wanted to spend time with his father? Or did he want to get away from me?

Was I too clingy onto my own son? Or was it when I pushed him down that one day? I clench my fist into the pillow. I’ve never been so angry with my son. he was only seven years old, but I wasn’t angry at him. I was angry at Louis. He wasn’t being a father, and now it’s like I don’t have custody of Larry at all. How did my relationship with him fall?

I hear the door open and close. I hear a click signaling that someone locked it. I don’t bother looking up because I’m not in the mood to talk. “Get up you faggot. I don’t have all day.” That voice. I know that voice. It’s so cold and harsh. I turn over in my bed, careful of the IV line. I stare into the cold blue eyes of Nathanyl Ray. His skin is paler than it was before. By the way his eyes look, he’s tired. His voice is scratchy, but he doesn’t intimidate me. His look doesn’t, but the gun in his hand does.

“You’re coming with me.” He says. I feel pain engulf my head. What’s happening to me?

-----

[AN] It's short I know! Sorry! I just felt like it needed to end there. Watch out guys, there's a huge plot twist YOU WILL NEVER SEE COMING!

Picture on the side is Larry and Ben. Asa Butterfield as Larry and David Henrie as Ben.