Chapter Four

Chapter 4

Have you ever looked in the mirror and not recognized the reflection? That’s exactly what happened after I got ready for my first day of school. Mary insisted that she help me with make up, and I’ve got to say…I look like a completely different person. I’m still not sure if it’s a bad or a good thing.

“Skye!” Mary’s voice echoed through the empty house.

It was almost eerie. Social Services took the four other kids away last night, at around seven. Not that I care. I’ve sworn to myself I would never get close to my foster siblings after what happened the first time. I grew very attached to a young girl named Selena once, and she got adopted on my birthday. It was horrible.

“Skye, you’re going to be late!” Mary shouted again.

“Oh, right. Coming!” I yelled back before bounding down the stairs.

I was still getting used to my new clothes. I had so much to pick from! Mary took me shopping the day before yesterday, and I couldn’t be happier.

“I talked to your principle on the phone yesterday,” Mary announced.

“What’d he say?”

“You have to take Economics and English, the two required courses for senior year. Since you have enough credits as it is, you can leave school after that,” she explained.

“Great!” I exclaimed.

Mary dangled car keys in front of me.

“Really?” I asked in disbelief.

She nodded, “You’ll need a car, especially once training and school interferes with my work schedule. Mark agreed.”

“Thank you!” I squealed, jumping up and down.

I’ve never had my own car! Besides the whole large gang being after me thing, my life has never been better. Since my parents’ death, of course.

“Go, go! The car has a GPS. Type in your school and you’ll be there in no time,” Mary smiled.

“Bye! See you tonight?”

“I’ll be at your first lesson, actually. Your second class will end around 10? I’ll expect you at the bureau around 10:30. Call me and I’ll give you the address,” she said, shoving me out of the door.

I waved and walked through the grass and to the silver car in the driveway. I opened the driver’s side door and threw my bag in the passenger’s seat.

A Nissan Altima. Not bad, I guess. I entered North Beach High School into the GPS, and backed out of the driveway.

**********

Oh. My. God. This school was huge! I parked and got out, before looking around hopelessly. I didn’t spot anyone I knew, of course, so I shrugged and walked up the front steps to the entrance.

The entire front wall consisted of class window panes. When I stepped into the school, I was greeted by cool air. To my right were rows of lockers. Hundreds, perhaps thousands! They were all in great condition, too. Bright lights hung from the ceiling, and I walked up another flight of stairs, which led me to a wall. I peered over and saw an expansive library. I would definitely have to visit that later. I saw a sign to my left that said Main Office, and I decided to head in that direction. Students milling the halls looked at me curiously, but I continued on. After I passed a few hallways leading to classrooms, I reached yet another flight of stairs. I climbed them and walked to the first office I saw.

“Um, I’m Skye Roberts…I’m new here,” I explained to the smiling secretary.

“Of course! You mom called last night. Here’s your schedule,” she handed me a blue sheet of paper.