Chapter Nine (Part Two)

“Three men down, about a thousand to go….”

Mr. Henderson slumped down into his desk chair and Damien raised an eyebrow. We were in an office, Damien and I were sitting across from Mr. Henderson, whose feet were propped up on his desk.

“Maybe this will discourage the rest?” I said it more like a question, with a small shrug.

“Highly unlikely,” Mr. Henderson replied. “Damien, are you sure you’re up to this?”

“Yeah. Someone needs to protect Skye…there’s no way I’m letting her fool these guys alone,” Damien glanced at me from the corner of his eye.

“You do realize that we have highly trained professionals, right?” Mr. Henderson adjusted his tie.

“I’m no damsel in distress either, Damien. I handled myself quite well earlier today,” I stuck my nose in the air and tried to hide my smirk.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. I’m in,” Damien spoke and ignored my sarcasm.

Mr. Henderson nodded.

“You will start training on Monday.”

Today was Saturday.

“And you can not tell your mom about this,” Mr. Henderson clarified. “This is a highly classified mission. Only those directly involved will know about it, with the exception of Mary.”

Damien nodded reluctantly.

“We will tell her when the time is right,” I gave Damien a reassuring smile. “She can’t be left in the dark completely,” I shot a pointed look at Mr. Henderson.

Over the past week, Mr. Henderson and I have gotten a lot more comfortable with each other. Well, I’ve gotten comfortable with him. He’s still getting used to my…colorful…personality.

“Yes, of course,” Mr. Henderson sighed in defeat. “You two are dismissed.”

Damien and I stood and Mr. Henderson trailed after us into the main lobby. A desk sat in the middle, and everything was white and shiny or a sparkling metal.

“So, how does it feel to take a gun to school?” Damien peered at me through his dark bangs.

“Um, strange?” I replied honestly.

It was a pretty strange feeling. Damien nodded.

“How does it feel to be the only one to know about it?” I tucked my hair behind my ear.

“Illegal.”

“I assure you it’s legal, babe.” I winked playfully, playing the part I’ve seen portrayed in movies so many times.

We laughed and strolled back towards my car, but were stopped before we could reach it.

“Skye!” Damien shouted.

I glanced behind me and saw a gun a few inches from my cheek. A knife was held to Damien’s throat.

Damien grabbed the hand that held the knife to his throat and pushed it away, twisting to face his attacker in the process.

I elbowed the man behind me, and kicked him in the gut. He stumbled back, but rebounded quickly.

I glanced to the side for a split second and saw Damien already had his attacker on the ground, though he couldn’t get up or they would get away.

A shot echoed and the man with the gun fell to the floor, as Mr. Henderson emerged from behind him.

“Thank god,” I mumbled under my breath.

I ran my hands through my hair and stared at the floor in frustration.

“There is no way I am going to enter the Witness Protection Program!” I insisted, for probably the twentieth time.

“You’re going to get killed!” Mary argued, prompting a swift nod from Mr. Henderson.

“At this point, I don’t care! Call me crazy, but I’ve made up my mind. Nothing can change that,” I finished without looking up.

Damien walked in, and I dragged my eyes up to meet his.

“Still a no-go?” He looked at Mary.

She nodded. “Yeah. She’s not budging,”

I rolled my eyes, “Um, I’m right here?” I was getting irritated now. “I’m doing this whether or not you want me to.”

They reluctantly agreed, resulting in a wide smile from me.

“Now, who’s up for some late night ice cream?”

-------------------

I'm sorry for the broken chapter. :(

BUT EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT?! I got my wireless Internet back!!! YAY!!!! It's been over a few months! I've been using my neighbors, when it's on. So now uploads will be more.....consistent? Not for a week, though.

Monday - Monday (A full week) I won't have access to my computer. I'll be away. After then I'll upload. Maybe- If I have time- I'll upload Sunday night or Monday morning.

Hmmm, what else?

MUSIC. Okay, I'm going to try and pick songs for each chapter. (Keyword: Try.) I can be pretty inconsistent sometimes.

Honestly, the majority will be by My Chemical Romance. Their songs are working very well with this story. Sorry I like them so much xD Any other suggestions are welcome, though.

This chapter:

Song: I Never Told You What I Do for a Living

Album: 3 Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Artist: My Chemical Romance

Check it out!! I'd say it fits pretty well.

EDIT: I added a few paragraphs at the end...it wasn't going to work out as a new chapter. I'm terribly sorry, but that's going to be my update for the day! I need to get packing!