Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

Our sweet moment was interrupted by my phone.

“Hello?” I answered.

Mary left the room to give me some privacy.

“Where are you?” Damien sounded like he was whispering.

“Crap, I totally forgot! Something came up. Don’t worry, I’ll be there soon!” I promised.

“Mr. Henderson is running a bit late, too. You better hurry!”

“Thank you so much Damien. I owe you one,” I hung up and rushed upstairs to get ready.

After throwing on a random shirt with a pair of my skinny jeans, I snatched my bag and practically jumped down the stairs. Mary shot me a questioning look.

“Forgot. Late. Henderson,” I huffed, and she seemed to understand.

I burst out the front door and ran to my car before slumping in my seat.

“Drive,” a gruff voice behind me ordered.

I glanced sideways to see that he had a gun, though it wasn’t cocked. Stupid criminal.

I nodded, “hold on, I need to find my key.” I started rummaging through my bag.

This drove him crazy.

“Hurry up!” He snapped.

“Fine,” I replied, and pulled out my gun.

“You move any muscle, and I will shoot,” I cocked my gun. “As you can see, my gun is cocked. Unlike yours,” I motioned to his gun with mine.

He stared at me with wide eyes.

“Now put your gun down,” I ordered. “And no funny business.”

He proceeded to place it on the center console. I grabbed it, and removed the bullets.

“Thank you. Now sit still, and don’t even try to escape. If you haven’t noticed, I’m a bit smarter than you think,” I smirked, and put the car in reverse.

As I was driving to the bureau, I noticed something. I was starting to gain a second personality. One that was slightly arrogant, demanding, and threatening enough for gang members to obey orders from. That, or they really were stupid. I didn’t want to lose my old self, but I remembered what Mary told me in the very beginning.

Consider those your famous last words. You will never be the same.”

I guess I finally understood, but it was too late to go back now. Not that I wanted to.

I pulled into the parking lot and sat in my car for a second, glancing at the very submissive criminal beside me.

Deciding it would be better to call for someone to help me than to usher him in on my own, I pulled out my phone and dialed Damien.

“Is he in yet?” I questioned, careful not to mention any names.

“Mr. Henderson?” He clarified.

“Yeah.”

“Um, yeah. Why?” He asked.

“Get him to come out and find my car in the parking lot. I have another member for him,” I smiled.

“Wow. You work fast. Alright,” he replied.

“See you soon,” I chirped.

The man next to me was scratching his ankle, though I knew better.

“Stop it!” I ordered.

He sat back in his seat, and looked straight ahead. I heard a faint ticking noise and gasped. I jumped out of the car and ran across the parking lot, only to look back and see my car explode in a frenzy of smoke, fire, and bits and pieces of what used to be its exterior.

“What the-” Mr. Henderson burst out of the door and stared at the mess in disbelief.

“Sky, are you alright?” Damien followed him, but saw me first.

I nodded, “He was in there,” I looked at the ground disappointedly.

“No, he wasn’t,” Mr. Henderson replied, walking over to the remains of my car.

“He jumped out, but a bit too late,” he motioned to the heap of a man lying motionless about five feet from my car.

“Well, we’ve got three out of a few thousand now,” Damien tried to lighten the mood.

“Yeah, I think he’s dead,” Mr. Henderson said into his phone.

“Let’s go back inside,” I said, and walked towards the big double doors that Mr. Henderson had burst out of not too long ago.

“Oh my god, Skye. Either you are the luckiest person alive, or you’re immune to danger,” Damien looked at me curiously.

I thought about the airplane crash. How I almost was on that plane with them, but they decided it would have been better for me to stay behind and stay in school.

He saw the look on my face and quickly apologized, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it that way.”

“No, no. It’s fine. You’re right, in a weird way,” I replied, plastering a smile on my face.

He was. I’ve never broken a bone. Never had surgery, and never been in the hospital, not counting when I was born. After 17 years, that’s a pretty big feat. I never really thought much of it.

“I’m looking forward to this mission,” he winked at me.

“Is this you flirting?” I teased.

“Maybe,” he replied.

“I just jumped out of a car that almost blew up with me in it, and you flirt with me?”

“You survived,” he said simply. “Why should I treat you differently?”

“Touché,” I replied.

We sat in Mr. Henderson’s office and waited for him. It took about five minutes before he found us engaging in our usual witty banter.

“If I’m not mistaking, you guys won’t have to pretend to be dating at all,” Mr. Henderson joked.

Damien and I laughed.

“What can I say, I work quickly,” I replied, smirking at Damien.

“My words exactly,” Damien added.

“Whoa there, guys. No need to talk about what you do outside of work,” Mr. Henderson obviously took that the wrong way.

“No-” I began to protest.

“Sorry, it won’t happen again,” it was Damien’s turn to smirk.

I shook my head and sighed in defeat.

-------------------------

I'm sorry, it's to tempting. I'm going to make the second category Romance again. I love these two together, it's fun to write about. xD

Song!

Title: 21 Guns

Artist: Green Day

Album: 21st Century Breakdown

The majority of you probably know this song. But still, it works. :D