Chapter 2

I got dressed in a white off-the-shoulder dress and we headed to the restaurant.  I really wasn't looking forward to this evening.  A bunch of stuck-up lawyers and their obnoxious wives. 

"Sorry I was rushing you.  I just want to make a good impression.  You know how important this is right sweetie?" Grant asked as we entered the restaurant.

"I know it's ok.  I can handle this, lets just get it over with ok?" I pled with him.

He smiles kissing my forehead and leads me to the table.  It seems like hours have passed, listening to the men talk business, and the wives gossip about people in their neighborhoods.  I look at my phone to see it's only been forty-five minutes.  I sit listening to this bullshit nodding and smiling.  They don't really care if I'm here or not.  Grant doesn't even include me in his conversations.  Finally, this ridiculous dinner is over and Grant leads me to his car.

"Did you have a good time?" He asked after we get in the car.

"Your kidding right?" I ask him rolling my eyes.  "That was like torture."

He laughs.  "I'm sorry I know it's boring for you.  I promise this weekend we'll have fun just the two of us ok?"

"That's what you said last weekend Grant." I huff.

"I know.  Look it's important for me to be apart of these dinners if I want to be a partner.  That's what we both want right?" He asks taking my hand and holding it.

"Yes I know it's your dream to be a partner in a law firm Grant and I want you to do what makes you happy," I reply.  I do want him to be happy but I don't want to be apart of these stupid dinners for the rest of our lives either. 

He drives me back home and stops the car.  "I'll text you tomorrow ok?" He says turning to me.

"What? You're not coming in? It's only eight-thirty." I looked at him in dismay.

"I've got an early morning sweetie I need to get home and rest." He smiles at me. 

"Ok, I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow." I open my door and climb out.

"Goodnight Addison I love you," Grant tells me goodnight and then drives off.  Well so much for a romantic evening.  I thought as I headed up to the apartment.

I got to the apartment and found Darby in the living room drinking a beer and putting on her heels.

"Hey Addi! You are just in time!" She grins at me.

"For what Dar?" I ask as I put my purse down and took off my shoes.

"To go out!! Come with me tonight we'll have fun!" She smiles finishing her beer.

"To go where? I have to work tomorrow you know." I tell her shaking my head.

"It's thirsty Thursday! Which means free drinks until ten!! Come on Addi go with me!! You'll be back in time to rest for work I promise." She says getting her purse.

  "Ok, I guess after the day I've had I need a little fun.  Do I need to change?"

"No, you look hot! Now get your shoes back on."  She grins.  "You haven't been out with me in forever! You must have really had a sucky day."

"Yeah, I did I ran into some cocky jerk at lunch, and then I had to sit through another one of Grant's business dinners,"  I whine and she laughs.

"I know you think Grant is perfect Addi but I don't see it.  He knows you hate those dinners so why does he make you go?  You need to put your foot down."