Chapter 16

Thatcher led Jade down the overgrown path to the main road where a group of horses stood waiting. Each was a Protectors mount and trained like Chance. They stood patiently for their riders to return. Thatcher led Jade to a horse. The other protectors were busy speaking and making plans about actions to take. Jade used the moment alone with Thatcher.

"You betrayed us," she said low and spat in his face. "You're a fucking coward you greedy bastard. You probably couldn't wait to be patted on the back for this. What, are you hoping you'll become an elder and live a privileged life?"

Thatcher gripped Jade's arm tightly and glanced at the other Protectors but no one was paying them attention. They were trying to decide who should go after Phantom. "Do not presume to understand my actions," he said. "You don't know anything about me."

"Your right," she said. "I don't know you. I just know that you won't hesitate in betraying your oaths."

His grip tightened like a warning. "Jade Dryden," he said quietly as if struggling with something.

"Stop calling me that."

"I won't," he spoke so only Jade could hear and shook his head. "Think what you want about me Jade Dryden but your situation isn't going to change. Yes, I had reasons for taking the actions I did, but they are not the reasons you think they are. I don't have time to explain everything so you're just going to have to listen and decide for yourself what you will do."

Thatcher swallowed and for the first time Jade saw him for who he was. She was angry and hurt, but she could not deny the honesty written on his face. This was the first true look that Jade was seeing of the mysterious man. He seemed older all of the sudden, as if ten years had been added to his face.

"You have hidden from yourself long enough, Jade Dryden. I brought you here to force your hand and accept what you've been trying to deny. Felkor needs a leader, but we need the right leader. Reiner is not that man. You are the leader our people need, Jade. You're father had a heart for the people and a vision. You have the same heart and if you accept who you are and embrace your Dryden name you will find that you are not alone. There are Protectors here ready to swear their loyalty and die for you."

Jade swallowed. It was too much for her to process.

"I have not betrayed you for my own means, Jade," Thatcher said quickly when Jade could not find words. "Felkor needs you."

"No," she said finally finding a voice. "You knew that I would have never agreed to this so you went behind my back. You betrayed Charles and Reiner and disregarded your honor and oaths...for what? Because I have my father's name?" She shook her head. "You're a fool, Thatcher. My name does not make me a leader. You think just like the rest of the Felkorian's. You think because you knew my father and serve a prince that you see things clearer than the rest. But you think just like a Felkorian, you think a name and bloodline makes someone great and you're wrong.

"Destiny isn't guaranteed. It's earned by a person's actions. It's determined by a person's willingness and determination to keep fighting after they get beaten down. It's about living one step and day at a time, to take each punch and learn for the next." Tears streamed down Jade's face. "As a child I was told I would train and become a Protector and I left Felkor because I thought that's what I wanted..." Jade sucked in a breath when she realized what she was about to say. "But, all I have ever truly wanted in my life is the opportunity to choose my own path."

The realization shook Jade to her core. Jade hadn't left Felkor because she wanted to become a Protector. She hadn't left Felkor to find her honor or build her father's name. She had used those as an excuse to everyone and she had even convinced herself that's what she believed. But the real reason was much simpler.