Chapter 7

**Warning, this is a really long chapter. ^_^**     

Though Reiner was more relaxed around Jade, she still sensed that there was something bothering him. He fidgeted with his hair and licked his lips randomly throughout the day, as if he suddenly remembered something. He had two long meetings that Jade had to stand outside for, though when Reiner emerged they ate lunch and he told her what had happened. Everything was being prepared for his taking over as ambassador of Felkor, papers were signed and while everything would be made public at the ball tomorrow night, he was technically already ambassador on paper.

                "If I wasn't nervous about this responsibility before; I am now," Reiner rubbed his hand down his face and leaned back in his chair. "The old ambassador was kiddy signing over his responsibility to me, and I don't think it's because he necessarily things it's a good idea. He seemed a little too happy to be retiring and he shook my hand at least a dozen times."

                "That doesn't surprise me," Jade said honestly. "Felkor only deals with the king's ambassador because he is in charge of making sure supplies are delivered on a regular basis. Just because you're given the title doesn't mean Felkor will be any warmer toward you."

                Reiner sighed, "I guess I expected this, but still, it doesn't make it any easier."

                Jade gave him an encouraging smile. "You'll do fine Reiner, really."

                He smiled back and when they finished lunch they made their way out to the garden where the queen was hosting a tea party. There wouldn't be a feast tonight at the castle, but instead everything would be prepared for the masquerade tomorrow. The castle was buzzing more than usual with servants and entertainers. The back gate was constantly congested with people.

                Jade hung back behind Reiner while he greeted his mother and made his rounds. He greeted a few other highborn men of the court. They talked about hunting this season while Jade noticed a few other them tossing her interested glances. There was another protector guarding an older gentleman who sat with the queen across the garden. Jade vaguely recognized her from when she was first brought to the king and queen. Her Guardian was smaller in stature and the Protector herself was tall. She mostly ignored Jade, for which she was grateful.

                 "I'm thinking about hiring one for myself before they all get snatched up," Jade glanced back, one of the highborn was looking at Jade thoughtfully. Jade's hand tightened into a fist behind her back.

                "Well Jade's not a Protector," Reiner cut in. Jade silently thanked him.

                They all looked at Reiner, "I heard rumors about that. Is it true she's a murderer?" Jade felt her stomach tighten.  

                "I heard she used to be a whore," another cut in.

                "I heard she's an exile," another spoke, glancing at Jade.

                Jade wanted to defend herself, but knew better than to open her mouth. They were speaking as if she wasn't standing there, as if she wasn't a human being but a piece of property or a new pet. Jade glanced at Reiner, his jaw was tightly flexed. "You'll watch your tongue," Reiner cut off their conversation and they all looked at him shocked. "Jade is under my service and to speak ill of her is to speak ill of me. Are you speaking ill of me?" He asked coolly. They bowed their heads silently. "I didn't think so," Reiner said. "Jade isn't a whore, nor is she a murderer. She may not be a Protector but she is something far more special than that, you will do well to hold your tongue." Phantom let out a growl without her permission and the highborn all shuffled back quickly.