Chapter 6

Reiner didn't stir that night and Jade was able to sleep soundly for the first time since arriving at the Royal Court.  Phantom pushed himself into her subconscious and woke her the next morning, alerting her that Reiner was awake and preparing for the day. She walked with Reiner down to the baths, and they were each escorted to opposite pools to bath. Ariel attended to Jade again, and she let the girl talk to she didn't feel obligated to fill the space with words and conversation.

                Jade's thoughts were far away, they rested on what Reiner had told her the night before. She wanted desperately to bring change and restoration to her homeland. But was Reiner the one to follow to do such things? He wasn't Felkorian, could she truly ever trust an outsider to bring what her people needed.  He was a prince, born into a bloodline that held claim over their kingdom, but Jade knew that sometimes a bloodline wasn't always enough. Jade had been born to a bloodline that should have guaranteed her a Great Wolf, she was destined to be a Protector, but that hadn't been enough in the end.

                Jade knew that ultimately it came down to whether or not she trusted Reiner. Jade's heart sank, because she knew that she and Reiner simply hadn't known each other long enough for her to trust him. He has a good heart, I've seen it, but what do I truly know about him? How much trust can you give someone in such a short time? Jade took a shallow breath, because she knew deep down that perhaps time had nothing to do with it at all. Maybe deep down I'll never truly be able to trust anyone, maybe it's because I've always imagined that I would be the one to come back and save my people and not anyone else.  I had no probably swearing myself to Reiner after a few hours, so why is this so different?

                Jade dunked herself under the water and held her breath for as long as possible until there were no more thoughts on her mind. Ariel did her hair and helped her dressed and when she emerged she waited for Reiner to finish. Phantom came and sat next to her and licked her hand. He pressed himself into her consciousness, and she felt that he was demanding that she no keep him at arm's length. More and more Jade had begun to realize that she had been blocking herself off from Phantom. She wasn't sure why but there was a part of her that felt she needed to protect herself from Phantom's connection and she didn't understand what it meant.

                We stick together, always. He looked at Jade meaningfully and she placed a hand on his fur, the connection solidified as it always did with physical touch. A cough forced its way from deep within Jade's chest and she quickly pulled the black handkerchief from her belt. Something she had decided to keep on her at all times from now on since her attacks had grown in frequency. The attack slowly built in her chest and forced Jade to cough with each wave. The bath attendants looked at Jade and then came over to her and asked if they could help and if she was alright. Jade waved them off forcefully and shook her head as her body shook. Phantom snapped his teeth at the attendants, finalizing Jade's desire to be left alone.

                They retreated but kept their eyes on Jade and whispered to each other. Reiner emerged as the curtain around his bath was pulled open and Jade cursed in her mind. Please, please don't see this and panic. Jade finally tasted blood on her tongue and she pressed the cloth tightly to her mouth and focused on not vomiting. She could pass this off if she didn't vomit. The attack didn't seize immediately, it was longer than the past few, reminding Jade of her old attacks in the woods. She felt the bile in the back of her throat but she breathed hard and mercifully, the attack disappeared and she wiped her mouth at the same time that she pulled the handkerchief away from her mouth. The black cloth hid evidence of the red blood and there was nothing but Jade's pale skin that suggested anything was wrong.

                Jade, despite the weakness she felt, stood up as Reiner approached. A hard frown was etched into his features, his blue eyes were sharp. "What's wrong?" he demanded and looked at the cloth clenched in her hand. But it hid its secrets well and Jade tucked it back into her belt, out of sight.