Chapter 11

Reiner and Jade sat frozen in their hiding place. Water swirled around them in the tight space and soaked their clothes and skin. Water dripped down Jade's forehead. She blinked hard from the dirt that fell into her eyes. Jade could hear the men just outside, she knew Hevic's wolf must have caught some form of their scent but Jade knew the water and the down pouring rain would do well to cover their trail. If they remained quiet Jade knew they might not be discovered, from the outside hiding place was unassuming. As it was, Reiner and Jade barely fit.

Reiner locked eyes with Jade and remained quiet and still. His gaze seemed to burn down to Jade's core, she forced herself to look away and focus on the present danger. Throw them off our track Phantom, lead them away from us. In response Jade heard Phantoms howl, we was close now easily within eyesight through the woods.

"There's her beast, don't shoot, he's not within range," Hevic's voice rang out with command and another harsh voice echoed Hevic's. Jade didn't recognize the words but she knew it was the Northman's language and she recognized the accent. She could any guess that the man was repeating Hevic's orders to the group.

"The beast is moving off," Hevic cursed.

"Should we follow?" Jade could make out the Northman's voice, she desperately wished she could see how many of them there were. There was no guarantee that they would remain undiscovered and they were at a terrible disadvantage. If they wanted Reiner and Jade dead all they had to do was thrust their swords into their hole and skewer them.

"I'll send Steel to track the wolf," Hevic whistled sharply and after a few seconds resumed talking. Jade could only assume that Hevic sent his wolf to chase after Phantom. Be careful. Jade knew that Hevic's wolf didn't pose a true threat to Phantoms safety, but she also didn't know just how well Phantom was. Whatever had been able to knock him out might still be affecting his senses. Jade felt like the world was falling apart at the seams. She had to protect Reiner, but she would also die if anything happened to Phantom. "I won't risk sending men; if the wolf leads us to them he'll tell me. Scour this creek in the meantime, Steal picked up their scent here last. They can't have gotten far."

"What about the soldiers?" the Northman asked.

"If your men are as good as they say then we shouldn't have problems from them, they will be too distracted saving their own skins to send a search party, now go." Heavy feet splashed through the creek just outside their hiding place and Jade caught a flash of a boot buckled as it passed by. A moment later there was silence as the men moved further upstream. Looking for signs of their trail, Jade knew it wouldn't be long before they retraced their steps when they didn't find any signs. Jade also knew that if they came back they would notice their hiding place.

Jade was running out of time and she had limited options. If Lander and Merek were under attack then help would not come in time, if it came at all. Think, Jade. Jade glanced at Reiner who was watching her carefully and leaned in closer. He tensed when her lips touched his ear but didn't move or make a sound, "No matter what you might hear, do not move from this spot. Your life depends on it Reiner, do you understand? Nod if you swear you'll remain hidden here."

Jade pulled back just enough so she could make out Reiner's short nod. His eyes were alert and fierce and his lips turned down. She knew he didn't like this situation, she also knew he wouldn't like her leaving him but she had a job to do. Feelings aside she was Sworn to protect him and she would do so, even if it cost her life.

Jade counted off another full minute and when she heard no other signs of life she held her hand up to Reiner as a reminder for him to remain still and then crawled out. The rain pelted Jades face and skin and she threw water onto her face to remove the signs of dirt. She wanted to give no indication as to where Reiner might be hidden if she were caught.