Chapter 14

It was evening when Astral came to fetch Jade. Jade rode behind the wolves and watch as Astral and Phantom ran alongside each other. At first they remained together, until Phantom began to pull ahead and then Astral moved to catch up. Soon, they were out of sight, racing back toward camp. Jade rode smoothly on Chance, relaxed and at ease with simplicity that came from being in a saddle she kept her connection with Phantom solid so she knew where the men had camped for the night.

"Welcome back, Jade," Merek called when she rode in. The men had set up quickly and already guard duty had been assigned. "Anything interesting out there?"

"No," Jade shook her head. "Any troubles here?"

He shook his head. "No trouble, Reiner asked that you come see him when you got back."

She nodded, "I'll go now."

"I'll take care of Chance for you," he said taking her reins.

"Thanks," she smiled and walked toward Reiner's larger tent. She noted Astral and Thatcher riding back out of camp, probably to scout the surrounding area in earnest before nightfall. Phantom found Jade before she got to Reiner's tent and they walked inside together. "You wanted to see me?" she asked and then stopped surprised.

Hamlin, the royal doctor was siting drinking a hot cup of tea on Reiner's cot. Reiner was siting off the side on a short folding stool tapping his fingers against his knee impatiently. "Jade," Hamlin greeted with a smile.

"Hamlin?" she asked surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I've been asking him the same thing," Reiner said exasperated. "He said he wanted to speak with both of us or not at all."

Jade raised an eyebrow and took an open stool. Phantom sat next to her. "What's this about?" she asked the doctor.

"I'm coming with you to Felkor," he said. "The king and queen have given their consent. I took a smaller faster ship and rode hard to catch you."

Reiner frowned and Hamlin offered him a folded letter with the royal seal, which he took and read. "Why do you want to come with us?" Reiner asked after reading the letter.

"Research and medical purposes, I believe this trip could be enlightening," he looked meaningfully at Jade.

She frowned. "What have you discovered?"

Hamlin shook his head. "Is there anywhere more private we could speak?" he asked softly.

"We are in good company," Reiner assured him.

Hamlin frowned deeper. "Speak softly and say what troubles you. Phantom will go and patrol around the tent to be sure no one is eavesdropping." Jade signaled to Phantom and he quickly left the tent. Jade noticed now that Hamlin was sweating and slightly pale. She assumed it was from the journey but she noticed how his eyes darted nervously. Something was troubling him.

"Do you both swear to keep secret what I'm about to share with you?" he asked.

"Of course," Reiner nodded. "Hamlin, you have nothing to fear here." He looked at Jade and she nodded once and he sighed.

"What do you know of magic?" Hamlin asked them both carefully.

"Fairytales, old stories," Reiner waved a hand. "Stories of Magicians and wars long past." Hamlin looked at Jade to see what her answer would be and shifted uneasily.