Chapter 12

*****Thanks to YolieB for the cool cover art!***** 

     Jade was convinced that she was going to burn to ash. Everywhere that Reiner's touched her skin heated to an almost unbearable degree. He kissed her fiercely and she returned in kind. At some point in the back of Jade's mind she registered a chair being overturned but neither of them paused. Her back was to the wall now, her body pinned by Reiner's hips and lips. One of his hands was firmly tangled in her hair while the other found its way under her shirt and up her spine.

Company, Jade pulled away and shoved Reiner back with both hands.

"What?" he asked worried. "Did I hurt you?" Before Jade could open her mouth a knock came at the door. Reiner eyes widened and Jade grabbed the wooden chair that had been knocked aside and righted it. "Shit," Reiner turned away from Jade and ran his hands through his hair and tucked in his shirt. They were both a mess and Jade ran a hand down her hair to smooth it from where Reiner had messed it. She straightened her own clothes and went to open the door. When she turned to look Reiner was sitting in his chair next to the fire as if nothing had happened. Though she did not miss the small purpling bruise forming on his neck, she hoped no else too notice.

Jade opened the door and stepped aside. "Come in," she said with a warm smile. Charles, Thatcher, and Louisa entered followed by Phantom. Her wolf paused by her and gazed up, he knew what she and Reiner had been up to and she flushed with embarrassment. She was pleased to discover that Phantom was not disturbed by her actions but amused by them. She shut the door and stroked him once between the ears and gave her attention to the room. Charles and Louisa sat near Reiner by the fire and Thatcher stood only a few feet away.

Jade listened as Charles and Louisa filled Reiner in on the rest of the meeting with the family. "He's preparing for a war," Charles said. "He's pushing our plans up, so we will be leaving at the end of the week. You are to prepare the men you have chosen and then we will make for Felkor with all haste. If there is to be a fight he wants Felkor secured as quickly as possible. We cannot afford a wild card on the brink of war."

"What of Fishburn? Have we any new information?" Reiner asked.

"None," Louisa answered. "Which is why we need an answer from Felkor as soon as possible. If Fishburn has plans to cause a civil war then Felkor will be the first to know. If we have them on our side we will be one step ahead, if we cannot get them on our side then we must split our forces and cover both ends of the board." Charles nodded his head in agreement to his little sister.

"It seems the pressure on our plans continue to grow," Reiner shook his head.

"It does indeed," Charles agreed. "Thatcher is the only guard coming with me, the less people we have with us the better."

"I agree," Reiner nodded. "We don't share our plans and we keep on the roads. If the Northmen mean to take my life they will have to find me first."

"What of the prisoners, have we gotten any information from them?" Jade spoke up and they turned to her.

"None," Charles shook his head.

"What methods are being used?" Jade asked.

"Whatever methods necessary," Reiner assured her and Louisa tilted her head.

"Reiner, what happened to your neck?" Louisa asked and Jade froze. Reiner's fingers went to his neck to feel where Louisa indicated.

"Oh, this?" Reiner smiled. "Sparring practice, someone got a lucky hit." He glanced passingly to Jade.

"You might want to ice it, it looks like it might get worse," she shook her head. The three siblings spoke for hours. Charles and Reiner planned their trip and Louisa pipped in her opinions when she felt they were needed. Halfway through their conversation Jade excused herself to the hallway as a fit came over her. Phantom remained at her side and Jade coughed violently. The taste of blood seemed to never leave her tongue. She felt weak after it passed and she leaned her back against the wall and stood quietly in the darkened hallway to catch her breath.