Chapter 1

Cat

================

Live fast, Die old, Have fun, Read lots.

================

God, I hate the heat, and let me tell you that in Chicago in the middle of summer it is as hot as hot can be. So here I am downtown walking through Millennium Park going toward the Bean. (Well it is actually called Cloud Gate but everybody in the area calls it the Bean because it looks like a giant kidney bean) I'm hot, uncomfortable, my hair is sticking to my skull underneath my hat and I am in a foul mood. All thanks to that know-it-all-JERK! I’m out here about to blow my stack because HE couldn't even bother to clean up his own mess. Stupid shape shifting mongrel!

So I walk up to the crowd that has gathered around the Bean a push my way through yelling that I'm a paramedic and to let me through. When I get to the center of the crowd I stop and just stare. This is bad, this is really bad. The woman had a hole in her chest about half an inch in diameter and it was bleeding profusely, well I suppose that is what you get for trying to fight a werewolf without using a leather jacket with chain mail backing at least. As much as I may look like a paramedic I am not so as I put pressure on the wound I'm speed dialing work so they can come pick this woman up. My boss answers on the second ring,

"Yeah?"

"Um, I'm gonna need an ambulance asap at Millennium park right in front of the Bean."

"Okay, there will be one by in about five minutes the passphrase will be, 'It looks like there is a concussion from when they fell.' alright."

"Alright, please hurry, this is not going to be a fun five minutes for either of us."

Great, I was going to be stuck here with this woman for at least five minutes with half of the population of Chicago staring at me; this is what I get for being a fixer. I swear that being the head fixer in one of the biggest cities in the United States is nearly impossible. Well I think that I can at least take care of the humans, they tend to be fairly gullible in large groups.