Chapter Two: Millie in the Present

"Millie Stevens!" I heard someone yell right in my ears and I jumped up. My amber eyes shot right open as I realized that I fell asleep at the table.

My brother Cain was the one who yelled in my ear, he's eight and thinks it's funny to wake people up like that.

"Cain, that wasn't nice." My mother says as I wipe my eyes from the sleep I so desperately craved.

Her blonde hair was up in a neat bun, her makeup was impeccable, and her scrubs were nice and ironed. She's a nurse at Chicago Memorial hospital, she's the head nurse.

"Sweetie, have you had trouble sleeping again?" My dad, who is a lawyer, asks me.

He reminds me of Clark Kent. Dark hair and blue eyes. Growing up, my dad was and still is my everything to me, he was my superman. I was a daddy's girl.

My brother, Cain, had his brown hair all messy and the only reason his clothes were matching was because mom picked them out for him.

I just graduated last week from high school, so I have all summer to myself to spend with friends. I was excited to finally be out and go on adventures and who knows, maybe find someone to love.

"I just didn't sleep very well last night." I say, moving the eggs on my plate to the side.

My insomnia started about six months ago, mom's doctor friends have been prescribing me sleeping pills, but they only did so much. They altered my mood, and I didn't like that. So I've been dealing with the sleepless nights, and falling asleep in the middle of the day.

"Is there a reason for that?" My mom asks. I think she thinks I have a secret boyfriend I'm not telling her about, which I don't. I've never even kissed a guy in my eighteen years of living.

"I'm just a little stressed." I lie.

I've been having nightmares. About witches and werewolves, it's so weird. I don't even like scary movies, and it's like playing one every night in my mind. There's always a lot of blood, and pain. It's like I'm actually there. I wish I could remember the details of the nightmares, but as soon as I wake up, they're gone from my mind.

"You should be having fun, Millie. It's the summer before college, just clear your head. Have an adventure." My mom says to me.

"Maybe I'll hang out with Sarah and Luke today." She looks at me a little bit concerned, grabs her bag and pulls out keys.

"Take the Jeep, no drinking and driving. Go to a party, have a little fun, honey." I grabbed the keys happily. It was Friday, I'm sure Sarah, Luke, and I could find somewhere to go.

"Brenda, do you really think it's appropriate to tell our eighteen year old daughter to go party." Mom laughs.

"Please, this is Millie we're talking about. I don't have to worry about her, I know she'll always make the right choice, Howard." My dad nodded.

He knew she was right, I never got in trouble growing up, not at home and not at school. I was the perfect child, even my grandparents always make comments at the fact that I hardly cried as a baby, and never threw fits as a toddler.

"Plus, dad. I know that if I'm ever in trouble I can just call you both." He sighs.

"Fine, go to a party tonight. Go be a crazy teenager, but not too crazy, okay?" I got up and hugged him.

"Thank you, daddy."

"When can I go party?" Cain asks, and mom just giggles.

I go to my room to go tell Sarah and Luke that I can go out tonight and we should go out. I almost never went out, other than to go study, mostly because I was such an introvert. But it was time for things to change, I was going to be entering college in the fall, and I couldn't keep living like this.

Mom and dad went to work, and Cain went to school, he has one last week before he's out for summer. Which meant that I was going to have the whole day to myself.

I was plopped on my bed when I reached for my baby blanket that was hidden under my pillow. It was a light pink color, it had my name embroidered to it.

I was adopted when I was just a few days old, my brother Cain is their biological son. I was found right outside of a fire station in Chicago, they brought me to the hospital where my mom works. My dad and her had been struggling to get pregnant, and were foster parents.

They managed to pull some strings and brought me home once I was deemed fit to leave the hospital. Mom always says she knew I was her daughter when I opened my amber eyes and just stared at her. My eyes were unique and they're the first things anyone ever notices about me.

When I was found, the only thing I had, other than the clothes on me, was this pink blanket with my name on it. I carried it with me always over the years until my parents told me I couldn't take it with me to school anymore. Now I just leave it under my pillow.

Now you must be wondering what happened to my biological parents. Well, it's a mystery. I was never claimed. I was abandoned.

It doesn't really bother me because I have wonderful parents, but it's weird knowing that I'll never know any blood relatives. But I have a family, one that I love and that loves me very much.