Chapter Eight: Attacked

One week later, I was walking home from dropping off my brother at his friends house for a sleepover. He only lives a few blocks away, so I saw no reason to drive, and I was enjoying the fresh air. Summer nights were my favorite.

I heard a rustle.

Have you ever felt like you're being followed? I felt like that right now. I turned around and saw no one though, so I just kept walking along the edge of the woods. I stopped when I heard growls.

They sounded like dogs. They were coming from the forest. Could it be wolves? Harry mentioned that they didn't really like us in human form, when we were in werewolf form, we could at least assert our dominance.

The growling stopped after a few seconds. I had to go through the woods to get to my backyard. I almost considered calling my mom to pick me up, but I stopped myself. She must have left for her night shift at the hospital.

I called Sarah instead. I could talk to her and walk through the woods. If anything happened to me, she could be a witness.

"Hey, what's up?" She asks as soon as I ring her and she answers.

"I am walking through the woods to get to my house, and I'm getting an uneasy feeling." I felt paranoid.

"What do you mean?" I try to hurry without running. I was a klutz, if I tried running, I'd hurt myself.

I looked around when I heard heavy breathing. But I didn't see anything. Whoever it was, they were blending into the darkness.

"Harry?" I asked, kind of hoping it was him.

"Millie, Harry is with me and Luke right now." I froze. Who was following me? I'm sure someone was.

"I think I'm being followed." I started breathing heavier, feeling a panic attack coming on.

"What do you feel?" It was Harry on the line.

"Scared." I stared right into the darkness of the trees, and that's when I saw it. Two pairs of glowing red eyes. I screamed and I ran.

I could hear them right behind me, and I could hear their rabid growling. They weren't wolves, they were bigger than a bear. Somehow I managed to stay ahead of them, but when I turned to see how close they were, I tripped and fell right on the ground.

I tried to get up, but I was frozen. They approached me, and I knew they were werewolves. They were snarling their teeth at me, and I thought for sure I'd die. They were going to kill me.

One got ready to lunge, and that's when I felt the need to scream. Something was telling me that screaming would help, I don't know how. I just knew that it would help.

So I screamed. It was not a regular scream though. The ground was shaking, and the werewolves were crying from pain, it was like a sonic scream. I sounded like a banshee.

The two werewolves ran as fast as they could away from me. I kept screaming, I couldn't stop. I could feel other animals running away, I don't know how I could, but I could feel all of them.

Then I somehow stopped. I looked around, there was complete silence and complete darkness. I couldn't even hear a cricket.

I took a deep breath, I couldn't feel my fingers. I felt as if all the energy had been sucked out of me. How long had I been screaming? I couldn't get up, I felt extremely tired, and I laid down and closed my eyes.

Last thing I heard was, "Millie, I'm here."