Chapter Seven: Where They Live

I invited Sarah to my house, we were up in my room, and we were just quiet most of the time. I played some music and we were doing our own thing, it was Sarah who broke the silence between us.

"Millie, we need to talk about this. I can't keep quiet anymore." I got up and closed the door to my room. My family was downstairs, I didn't need them to accidentally hear us.

"I've been trying out some spells." Her eyes widened in surprise.

"How has that been going?" I pulled out my journal that I've been keeping between my mattresses.

I had searched witches on a search engine, but couldn't really find anything that helped me. I asked Harry for some help, which he was glad to give. He gave me a book from the Library of Supernaturals, he promised he'd take me one day.

Anyway, he told me that I'd learn a lot from the book. I learned that a lot of my power comes from within. I don't need spells all the time, sometimes it's a matter of hoping for something and lighting a candle to the Goddess, Diana.

"So far I've made many healing bead necklaces, and been able to change my eye color temporarily." Harry told me to practice defensive spells, and when I asked why he told me it was because I was going to be hunted by those who believed I shouldn't exist. He obviously thinks that just throwing my keys at them won't work, which I could see why it's flawed.

"Show me! I've never met a witch."

She sat right in front of me. This spell, it was a thinking spell. I just had to think about my eyes, and the color I wanted. I closed my eyes.

Purple. I've always liked purple.

I opened my eyes and Sarah jumped up in surprise. "Oh my gosh, your eyes. They're violet. Holy crap. They're beautiful." I got up and looked in the mirror.

They were violet. Somehow the color matched me, I actually like it. I was having too much fun changing my appearances temporarily. A few seconds later, my color was back to amber.

"I can only make it last a few minutes, the most." I look at her. "You've never met a witch?" I found that a little odd, but how would I know? I've never met one either, didn't even know they existed until a few days ago.

Sarah was looking through the journal. She looked up at me. "Yeah, they don't really live in America."

I give her a look. I was confused. "What do you mean?"

She puts my journal down. "Less than a percent of witches live in America, most of them live in the UK, other covens are scattered around Europe." I think for a moment.

Could it be that my parents abandoned me here, in America, because they knew I'd be harder to find? Now that people had some notions about me, would they come to claim me?

"Werewolf turf is North America, the witches turf is mostly England. They get power from being near their ancestors, so it's rare for them to leave their homes. The ones who live here, they're the ones who give up magic."

"Who would give up magic?" I love playing with the little I have, it was very fun. I can only imagine when I get more, and can actually do stuff that lasts more than a few minutes.

"Love. It happens very rarely, it's forbidden to marry outside of your...race...I guess would be the word. America is more liberal, they only require you to give up your magic, werewolves are stripped of their changes, vampires become mortal. In England, they would rather kill you then just let it go."

"Do you think my parents are dead?" I ask her.

Her eyes widen. I was afraid. Would I be killed? I didn't want to die, not yet at least. I'm only eighteen, nearly nineteen years old. My life hasn't even started.

"Millie...I don't know." She hugs me. "Have you tried a recovery spell?"

"A what?" I pull away.

"It's a spell that allows you to recover things you've lost, I read about it once in a book. What if it could help you find your parents?"