Chapter Six: Some Questions Answered

We're sitting in my Jeep. I told him to give me a minute to think about what I wanted to ask. I finally came up with a few questions.

"How did we come about? The werewolf people." I really wanted to know the true story from a werewolf, not a book.

He answered right away. "From what my mother told me, a witch cursed one of our ancestors with a strange spell. It caused them to shift into a mutant wolf, but only during certain night. Only ever at night, never during the day."

"The full moons?" He nods.

Harry was interesting to watch. I had to admit that I had a little bit of a crush on him, which is weird because I don't usually have crushes on guys.

"The first werewolf, he scratched a human, and that human turned into the second werewolf. The human was a pregnant woman, she had her baby. When that baby entered puberty many years later, he began to change. Being a werewolf became hereditary. The first werewolf, he scratched and bit many humans, most survived the change, but others didn't. Now it's illegal to change a human, though it still happens, the majority of werewolves today were born from blood."

"You say illegal, is there a council or something that make up the rules?" He stared at me for a moment.

"You're very smart, Millie. There is a committee, a human, a witch, a vampire and a werewolf. They come up with rules so we could all live in peace, we're not allowed to hunt each other, and we stick to our own."

"Which is why I'm unheard of, isn't it? That's why my birth parents left me in front of a firehouse instead of keeping me." That stung. In the eighteen years that I've known, it finally hurts that I was abandoned.

"Yes. That's probably true." Harry wasn't going to lie to me or even try to comfort me, he had no reason to. We hardly knew each other.

"Why haven't I changed? If I'm half werewolf, shouldn't I have the qualities of one?"

"That's what I've been wondering, too. If you haven't noticed, everyone at the Wolf Club had very distinct eyes, we all have that black ring surrounding our irises." I did notice that. "That means you have werewolf blood running through your veins. That's how we know you're definitely part werewolf. Maybe you only got heightened senses, and you take after your other side."

"You said you had a test for me." He pulls out a folded piece of paper out of his pocket along with a necklace made of beads, and hands them to me.

I open the paper. It's a spell. A healing spell to be exact, one to put on the beads and to cause a speedy recovery.

"You think I'm part witch?"

"I talked to an elder of the Mactire's pack, we talked about the fact that you haven't been found out. You're a half werewolf living with a human family, if you're part witch, it's possible that a spell was cast on you to conceal you from being found or even sensed. Surely, someone is looking for you."

I look at the spell.

"Tell me what to do." Could I do this? Magic? Magic was a part of stories in my novels, not a part of my life...not a part of me.

"The spell can only be said by witches, you're basically enchanting the beads to allow healing powers." I nod.

"In the name of my divine Goddess,

allow these beads to heal

from heart break to severe wounds

good health for those who are in need." I looked at the beads in my hand and nothing happened. "That didn't sound like a real spell, aren't they supposed to rhyme, it probably didn't work." I was doubting myself.

"Well, lets see. Put the necklace on." I put it on and a moment later, Harry scratched my bare leg without hesitation, causing a big gash. I was bleeding profusely.

"OW!" I yelled and held onto my leg.

He rolled his eyes and pointed at my leg which was bleeding. I could feel the blood on my hands. "Just look at your leg, Millie." I looked down to see there was only blood on my hands, and the wound was almost completely gone, a few seconds later there was no sign of it.

"Oh my gosh. How did...Did I do that?" This terrified me. I terrified myself.