Q&A

Hello everyone! As promised, here are some answers to the questions I was asked during the time I spent writing 21 Murders (also, if you haven't heard, the sequel is named Deception and is up now on my profile page). Please enjoy! - Dani xx

-

Questions About 21 Murders:

Q: What was your inspiration behind 21 Murders?
A: The strange thing is, it was really random. I had known previously that I wanted to write a crime fiction based on Harry, but it wasn't until I saw Ella Henderson's 'Ghost' music video that I had a solid idea and could sit down and write the prologue.

Q: What were your thoughts while creating Harry and Noelle's personalities?
A: For Harry's character, I wanted to portray a boy who had a rough upbringing but always tended to see the best in people. As you have read, his family life has been troubling and I think a lot of readers can relate to him because not only has he dealt with it the best he could, but he's learned how to make the best of his situation and still grow as his own person. I think that's really inspirational and something a lot of teens can relate to. As for Noelle's character, symbolically, I wanted to represent a young girl who you might know that looks like she has the total package (the whole family, good grades, an easy life, etc.), so to speak. I wanted to take this character and show you guys that not everyone who looks like they are on top, really has it all. She proved to be put together, when really, her home life was falling apart. I guess I just wanted my audience to see this and learn that no matter what the people around you expect you to be or think you are, it is what you  do that makes you who you are. Negative opinions don't matter and positivity - a trait El possesses - is always the best way to look at life.

Q: What do you do to get in the mood to write?
A: I don't ever force myself to write for the sake of updating. I write when I feel inspired (usually at 3am or after a hot shower), and if I need help getting into that deep realm, I will look up inspiration on We Heart It or listen to music while outdoors. Oddly, it helps.

Q: How do you deal with writer's block?
A: I don't really have this problem, but if I am having difficulty writing a chapter or am avoiding a topic of discussion, I will completely change direction with where I am going and write a different version of it. Truth is, if I am not motivated to write it, it will show, and I don't want to bore you guys.

Q: What inspired you to start writing, and at what age did you write your first story?
A: I believe I was five or six when I wrote my first story about a mermaid, haha. It was a few pages long and it didn't really have a plot, just a lot of drawings and description about the mermaid. All along I have always thought writing was cool, but I never knew I could actually do it. It wasn't until I stumbled upon Wattpad that I knew I wanted to try.

Q: Are you trying to get 21M published? Will you write as a career?
A: The answer is no, and no. I want to become a beautician when I am older. You don't have to worry about me not writing anymore, though. I will be eighty and secretly writing Harry fictions, haha.

Q: Will you ever write about the other boys, or maybe 5sos?
A: I don't think so. I find it hard to write with passion if I don't have genuine love for my main character. It also feels like I am betraying Harry by reading fictions that don't star him. I don't know, maybe that's just me.