XXVIII. Mesmerize

mesmerize (verb): hold the attention of (someone) to the exclusion of all else or so as to transfix them

Noelle's POV

A proud smile streches across my face while Harry graciously steps onto the tall stage, greeting the audience with a bright smile and dazzling eyes. Now is time for the real ceremony - where Harry would get his plaque, new badge and pin. He wore excitement on his face, even though I know deep down he would like to act as if he is serious and not overly child-like.

Des stands center stage with a golden bagde in his hand, placing it onto the front of Harry's sharp suit. With quiet words exchanged between the two, Des gives a tight-lipped smirk and Harry turns to the audience, giving a little, sweet nod.

Rounds of applause echo through the room, and with a plaque in hand, Harry leaves the stage. My feet hurriedly rush over to him, greeting his lanky but well dressed body by the wooden stairs. Hidden behind the velvet curtain, I bring him into my arms, whispering, ''Congratulations."

"Thank you,'' he beems, both dimples prominent. It is nice to see that even with Fred getting on his nerves and Des not showing much support, that Harry doesn't let them get the better of his new authority. "How do I look?" Harry stands back, smoothing his coat and straightening the little bad with a fond smile.

"Like a Cheif Commander,'' I chuckle honestly, bringing him once more into my arms. His hands latch behind my back and squeeze lightly, his warmth breath fanning my neck when he nuzzles his head into my shoulder.

The moment doesn't last forever, though, when I am forced to pull away and step back. I squeeze his hand breifly and drop it to his side. A strange fondness has been built over this trip so far, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'd like more of it, truthfully.

"Are you tired?" Harry asks while we walk back into view, seeing the large crowd disperse into sparse patches of people. It is clear that the night is ending, the sky now darkening and people fixed with their fill of socializing.

"Yeah,'' I yawn, covering my mouth briskly. "Are you?"

"Not really,'' he shake shis head, nose scrunching lightly with his words.

"Does Mr. Chief Commander not get tired?" I weakly joke, poking his side with my finger. Moving out of the way of my jab, he bumps into a table, cursing. Looking back over with a fake annoyed face, I just roll my eyes at his clumsy nature. "You really should learn how to use those lanky limbs of yours."

"All the talent must have gone to my-"

"Don't finish that sentence,'' I warn him, raising a finger into the air.

"-lips, Noelle." He pauses. "I was going to say lips, but if you have that much of a filthy mind and that is what you thought of, then so be it." His arm nudges me and I imitate his stumble, earning a knowing groan in response. "I'm never going to live that down, am I?"

"Nope,'' I pop the 'p' and turn my face forward to meet Des standing in the hall.

"Harry, you and I have to go collect some documents and sign some paperwork with the department to finalize my retirement and your new position. It should only take a minute,'' he stiffly demands, starting to walk off before getting a response.

I look over to Harry and see his goofy expression gone, a stiffness in his back representing him instead. With a shaky breath, he looks over at me and says, ''I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."

Nodding, I divert my attention to the clearing room. Some janitors walk around with large carts full of brooms and other cleaning supplies. A woman collects empty champagne glasses in a tub- careful not to stratch them-, and even a young boy follows next to her and mops up some stray tinsel from the floor.