XXXV. Inveterate

inveterate (adjective): firmly and long established; deep-rooted; persisting in an ingrained habit; habitual

Noelle's POV

As soon as the egotistical man said such bilious words, my hands jotted out to grasp Harry's forearms. Heavy breaths cave and puff out his chest, steam radiating from his ears like a bull ready to win another fight.

"Harry, let's go-" my voice is cut off by his.

"You think by shoving some shit warrant in my face - outside my department, that I'm going to change my mind and let you barge in unexpectedly? Are you bloody mad?" Harry's coarse voice chuckles sarcastically.

The self-assured man holds back a pompous smirk, straightening out his lips into a thin line before clearing his throat. "It isn't my orders, but the Governor's strict orders."

"Yeah right,'' Harry unattaches my grip from him and points a finger at the agent's suit-covered chest. "You've been coming back here and checking up on my department not because you had speculations or orders, but because you're weary that I got promoted to Chief Commander at such a young age. You don't trust me."

My eyes quint at Harry's accusation. Is he serious? A sympathetic frown tugs at my lips when I am reminded that this can't be true. Little does Harry know about what I saw Estelle doing with files a while ago, and he continues to blame these men for accusing him because his youth. Shit, why didn't I ever tell him?

"Harry, c'mon let's-"

"Stop it, Noelle." He abruptly cuts me off and an embarrassed redness covers my cheeks. Refraining myself from speaking, I bite down on my lip.

Seeing as though I have no connection to the missing files or whatever it is that Harry is worried they will find, I don't think I have any right to step in and try to separate Harry from this situation. This is his battle - and he needs to fight it on his own.

"You should listen to your girl,'' the agent says and I look him, glaring at his structured cheekbone. "Besides, Commander Styles. If your department is so clean, what have you got to worry about?"

"I'm not worried,'' Harry fires back, crossing his arms.

"Don't think we have forgotten about your father. Once twisted, always twisted."

"Shut. Up." Harry warns.

"Facts are facts, boy. You just don't have all the information because this isn't your territory to be dealing with. Des was a cold liar and a questionable target from the get-go." He pauses, licking his lips and adding, ''Who's to say he hasn't gotten you brainwashed- under his little spell- just as well?"

The complete rage and fury flaming behind Harry's eyes is released, and this time, I don't dare step forward and say something to him. The agents are toying with his emotions and trying to get a reaction from him, and by how great a job they've done so far, I'm surprised and all the more impressed that Harry's managed to keep his tightly clenched fists to himself.

"Don't you dare speak of my father like that,'' he unsurely grits, but only I notice his questionable tone. With a firm jaw set in place and scrunched brows, he adds, "He kept this city clean for decades. How little respect do you have?"

"Yes, Harry. Your father has watched over the city for decades, and maybe that's why your little girlfriend's case still hasn't been closed." The agent's eyes dart to me and it is as if I was hit with a brick and forced to step back. "Crime is at a new peak, trafficking has gotten out of control. And another unknown is how this one case has managed to skyrocket so obliviously..."