day eight

Vanessa wins four out of six races. Some were close, particularly one she won and the two she lost but the other two Simon spun out and fucked up a few times.

No doubt there is going to be some teasing banter on the top floor. The win gives Vanessa this unanticipated boost of confidence. Simon admits defeat with a simple "GG" though he wears a mask of sheer disappointment.

Everyone leaves to their designated rooms after the recordings are finished. Josh is pleased with the content being able to branch it out into two videos.

Simon fiddles on the hem of his shirt as he spins around on his desk chair. Vanessa walks up the stairs and glances at him. She presses her lips into a thin line; teasing him tonight is not the right way to go with this. The confidence within her seeps out of her skin, leaving her to fend for her nervous self.

She wanders over the rest her body lazily half on the outer wall of his room, half on his doorframe with her head poking in to watch him. She doesn't know what's going through his mind and regularly she wouldn't care, but right now she wish she could -- she almost wants to apologise for winning; as ridiculous as that sounds.

"Simon" her voice manages to squeak out. He looks up, dark blue eyes stare at her dead of emotion. They are drowning her and she looks down to the floor in an instant, like usual, unable to hold his gaze.

"Hey" he manages to twerk up the edges of his lips, smiling only little but enough. He doesn't know how to feel right now around her. She humiliated him coincidentally, he can't be mad even if he tries; not at her.

"Hi" She breathes out, her eyes she averted to the floor. She doesn't want to see his face; it will only make her feel guilty she believes.

"You drove really well" Simon compliments. Vanessa looks up with slight surprise, "it's impressive" he adds.

"thanks" she mutters looking down once again.

Simon stands and walks over to her and rest his back on the other side of the doorframe, facing her. "You've never given me the chance to get to know you Vanessa" He comments. Vanessa glances up to see pure solemnity. "Am I allowed to try?" he asks softly trying to catch her gaze.

Vanessa and Simon just stare at one another before one decides to break. It's Vanessa but only just. She quietly sighs.

"Twenty question?" Simon suggests.

Vanessa can't help but shrug, "why not" slips from her lips.

Vanessa takes a seat in the floor, resting her back on the staircase's railing. Simon slides down to sit in his doorway, he hugs his legs, "favourite hobby" he begins.

+++

They stayed sitting in between their two rooms for hours. Twenty questions turned to fifty, then a hundred, then to a hundred and one.

"Why do you called me Vanessa and not Vee?" She asks softly.

Simon eyes scan the whole of her face. He can't help but notice the dark bags under her tired mossy brown eyes.

"Because I want to be different to you" He almost mutters, his voice being so small, so quiet. "Why do you call me Simon?"

She chuckles lightly, "because I don't know what to nickname you yet" She answers honestly.

"Think of something different to the rest of them" He challenges.

"Hmmm" she hums, her eyes wander around the room as her mind ponders, searching for a nickname that is one of a kind, "Well people call you Si right?" Simon nods to her question, "Well what about Mon?"