chapter eight

PART EIGHT: THEY REUNITE

[university AU]

The plane made an emergency detour at LaGuardia Airport.

There were no casualties. No fatalities. The only explanation for this was that fate was standing on their side this day.

Nico sighed as he wheeled his hand-carry luggage out of the plane and onto the airport ground. He wouldn't be late for the start of term, he supposed, but he might have to take the earliest bus to his destination.

As he waited anxiously at the baggage collection point, tapping on his smartphone and checking the line every few minutes, he thought he saw a familiar face in the distance.

His heart skipped a beat.

No, that's not her, your mind's playing tricks on you.

The annoying inner voice had come back again after all this time.

He spotted his baggage and ran forward to collect it.

But someone was already there. Helping him haul it to the ground, and he glanced up to meet a pair of dark eyes.

*

Reyna took in a startled breath, gripping his shoulders quite too tightly.

"Oh god..." she trailed off as she surveyed his face, "what the hell happened with your plane?"

"Turbulence I guess," Nico shuffled his feet not looking at her.

"I was so worried! Do you have any idea what I thought? You almost died!" Reyna's words came out in a jumble as she framed his face with her hands: she had the sudden urge to cry.

Oh no, you're not gonna cry in front of him.

Nico shrugged, and all the old pain and hurt resurfaced again, "You never did seem to care."

"What?" She faltered, jolting back to her senses. "I...Nico, we need to regroup."

"Sure..." He muttered, turning to the exits of the airport.

And soon it was like reality came rushing in as they both stepped out into the chilly New York air: they were reunited, back together again, and nothing ever mattered, did it?

Reyna couldn't bear it anymore, and she enveloped Nico in a hug, squeezing the life out of him.

He groaned. "Reynaaaa."

She laughed openly for the first time in months, "I've missed you so much, Neeks. Please say you did."

Nico lifted his uncertain eyes to hers. Reyna caught her breath.

"Yeah..." he trailed off.

A few seconds later as she was beginning to worry, his chuckle caught her shocked.

"Of course I did, Rey. I've missed you loads." He said between laughs, leaning into her shoulder blades.

The bus came and it was the only thing that could've separated them as they boarded their way home.

Back to campus and a new life.

*

"So, did you get any new emails these days?" Nico asked as he gazed out at the scenery from the window.

"No...What do you mean by that?" Reyna frowned.

"Nothing." A faint smile tugged at the ends of his lips: so WiFi hadn't worked when he landed.