Chapter 13

"Chief, welcome back." Matsuda says, as Chief Yagami enters the room. They have been sitting in the living room, waiting patiently for the result. 

"It is as you predicted, Ryuzaki." Chief Yagami says. "Everyone in the ICPD agreed that they want you to appear on TV in person. No tricks." 

Anne could feel her leap out of her chest. If Ryuzaki is to appear on TV, he'll definetly be killed. If Kira decides he's not L, he'll kill him. But, if he decides he is L, he'll kill him anyways, just to get rid of him. 

We have to find some way around this. Anne thinks. I'm sure Ryuzaki is thinking the same. There's no way he's going to appear on TV as L. Perhaps he's already thought of a plan. And if not, we still have 2 days. 

"They made the logical choice." Ryuzaki says, sipping his tea. "The police will never cooperate with Kira, and if they have to choose between the Chief of police and me, they'll choose to sacrifice me. Especially since I was the one who taunted Kira on TV. They made the correct decision." 

"But then, L- no, Ryuzaki, you might..." Matsuda says. 

Don't say it Matsuda. Don't say it. 

"No...Even if I show myself on TV, if Kira does not know anything about me, then he may not belive that I am really L." Ryuzaki says, shoving a strawberry in his mouth. 

"That's true..." Matsuda agrees. 

"Though, I will try my best to convince him if it comes to that, because if he doesn't believe me, many policemen in the world will pay the ultimate price." Ryuzaki says. "Though, regarding how I can prove that I am L, that is a rather difficult question." 

He takes another bite of his cake. It's vanilla, with vanilla icing, and a strawberry on top. There must have been 2, because Ryuzaki already ate one. Or maybe Watari just brought him another piece without Anne noticing. 

"Oh well. We still have 2 days, so we have plenty of time to come up with a counter measure." Ryuzaki says. "Don't get me wrong, I don't have a death wish. Besides, if I had to die, I would rather die by Kira's hand instead of the hand of someone used by Kira." 

The whole team looks confused, except for Anne. She knows exactly where this is going. 

"What do you mean by that, Ryuzaki?" Chief Yagami asks. 

"After watching the tapes sent by the alleged Kira, I think that the chance of this Kira being fake is very high." Ryuzaki replies. "Or rather, the possibility of this being the work of a second Kira is very high." 

"A second Kira?" Matsuda, and Aizawa say in unison. 

"Yes." Ryuzaki says. "I considered the possibility of 2 people working together, but I think it's unlikely, especially after I watched this tape. This tape was not shown on TV, the second Kira made it to prove his identity to the employees of Sakura TV. The postage stamp shows that the tape was mailed on April 13th. It reached the TV station on the second day, then 3 days later, the first predidcted murder took place." 

"Predicting murder three days prior to the event sounds like Kira's doing to me..." Matsuda says. 

"Still, I don't believe that he is the real Kira." Ryuzaki says. 

"Why do you think that? Care to explain?" Aizawa asks. "I saw that tape too, and I don't see your logic." 

"Don't you think that the victims are quite a bit different from the ones that Kira usually kills?" Ryuzaki asks. "They were convicted of only minor offenses. Also, the person charged with possession of drugs was only reported in a women's magazine. And the only time this criminal was shown on TV was in a talk show on the noon of April 13th. Don't you think that's weird?"