Chapter 4

Anne stares in shock with the rest of the other task members. Lawliet is L... So that's what he's been doing all this time. He's now the worlds greatest detective. She is thrilled that she can finally see him again, but she's nervous too. He must not like her anymore. Perhaps he likes someone else now. Either way, when Anne saw him, her heart starting beating out of her chest, and she knew, that she still loved him.

"Hello." He says. "I'm L."

"I'm Yagami." Chief Yagami says, holding up his badge.

"Matsuda."

"Aizawa."

"Mogi."

"Ide."

"Ukita."

Anne is silent. She's still staring at L up and down, her eyes wide.

"Semstren!" Chief Yagami snaps, catching her attention.

"W..what?" She asks.

But before she can show L her badge as well, he suddenly lifts his finger at them.

"Bang!" He yells.

"Hey! What the-" Matsuda yells in responce.

"If I were Kira, you would all be dead by now." L explains. "So, I suggest you stop giving out your names in public from now on. Instead, lets value our lives."

After that being said, he walks into the living room, and takes his usual sitting position in a chair facing the coffee table.

So nothing's changed. Anne thinks. He still has the same blank, emotionless face, and he still sits in that odd position, with his knees up, touching his chin.

"Please, take a seat." He invites them.

Once they've all sat in a chair around him, he speaks yet again.

"Please turn all your cell phones off and place them on the table in front of you." He instructs.

"Oh great, he still doesn't trust us." Anne turns her head to the source of the voice.

"No it's not that, I just can't stand it when a phone rings while I'm trying to talk." L explains while Anne switches off her phone and places it on the table in front of her.

"Now, I've concluded that Kira is very childish, and he hates to lose." L says, sipping his tea. 

"Why do you say that?" Chief Yagami asks. 

"Mhmm, because I'm also childish, and hate to lose, that's how I know." He explains. 

Anne smiles to herself. He's still the same Lawliet, just older. 

After about an hour of talking to Ryuzaki (he requested that they call him that from now on) about the investigation, it's almost time to leave.

"Before you go, I would like to speak to you all individually. Just to make sure none of you is Kira."

"That's a fair request." Chief Yagami agrees.

Anne really doesn't want to talk to Ryuzaki alone, but it looks like she doesn't have a choice. He walks towards the window, and just stands there looking out of it. He must be deep in thought.

About a half hour later, it's finally Anne's turn to speak to Ryuzaki. He steps into the living room, and waves to her with his hand, gesturing for her to follow. She slowly gets off the couch and follows him into the next room.

He sits down in a chair, and invites her to sit in the one next to him. She complies. After a few moments of awkward silence, he speaks. 

"Anne... it's been awhile." Ryuzaki says, not looking at her. 

"7 years." She clarifies. 

"I have already concluded that you, are not Kira." He says, still keeping his eyes fixed on the piece of cake infront of him. 

Anne nods, and begins to stand up from her chair. 

"No, please stay." Ryuzaki says, snapping his head around to look at her. 

"O..ok." She says, sitting back down. 

There's more awkward silence, and Ryuzaki has his thumb in his mouth, like he always does when he's deep in thought. 

Good thing it's dark in here, it hides Anne's bright red cheeks. She gulps, a little loudly because he hears it. 

"Please don't be nervous because of me." He says calmly. "I'm not mad at you. I never was to begin with." 

"Oh Ryuzaki, I'm so sorry!" Anne blurts out. She can't help it anymore. She must get this weight off her chest, that's been there all this time. "I ran off without giving your explination any thought." A tear rolls down her cheek. 

Ryuzaki's eyes widen at the sight. "It's alright." He assures her, whiping her tears away with his thumb. 

She looks up at him with sad, desperate eyes. "Can you forgive me?" 

"Of coarse." He says. 

Ryuzaki grabs Anne, and holds her to him, while she nuzzles her face against his chest. After a few moments of this, she pulls away. 

"Were you telling the truth? About what happened?" She asks. 

"Yes." He says. "I promise." 

"Ok. I'm sorry for not believing you." She says. 

"It's ok. I would never do that to you, the truth is, I had had a crush on you since the day I first say you, and I haven't been able to get you off my mind for the past 7 years." He explains. 

"Same here..." Anne says. "But, I never thought you liked me back, I mean, why would you..." 

"Because your beautiful, inside and out." Ryuzaki says, looking at her with the most intense expression she had ever seen from him. 

She blushes. Anne had always been insecure, but with Ryuzaki, she felt she could be herself. She didn't have to pretend to be someone she wasn't. He had always liked her for who she was. And vice versa. 

"Whoops, it seems we've been talking for 10 minutes." Ryuzaki says. 

"Oh, well, I'd better go." Anne replies, getting up from her chair once again. 

"Wait." He says, grabbing a pen, and writing numbers in her palm. "It's my phone number." He explains. "Feel free to call anytime." 

"Ok, I will." She says. And she leaves. 

It's late by the time she gets back to her hotel. In a split second, she's in her night gear, and drifts off to sleep, with better dreams of him that are now a reality.