Part 29

Victor POV

I should be used to Mr. Blackbourne's odd way of giving us bizarre instructions by now, but this time he had thrown me for a loop. I sat down with my laptop in the living room armchair, surrounded by the team and spouting off the instructions for the correct usage of virus scanning software. Earlier he had had Kota giving everyone a rundown on the details of a suspect list that we had already determined not of interest or uninvolved in Ashley Water's case. It was very late evening now, almost completely dark outside. Mr. Blackbourne sat on the armrest of my chair with his arms folded, gazing at my screen as I read. I adjusted myself slightly as I scrolled down, hoping we could end the unneeded lesson soon and get down to the real meeting. Everyone around me looked like they were in complete agreement with me, especially Gabe and North. I continued reading and drummed my fingers impatiently, itching to pull up the camera feed in Nathan's bedroom again to check on Sang. Why Mr. Blackbourne had allowed her to be in there by herself when there were so many security issues threatening her was beyond me. I looked up when Gabe made a exaggerated cough and raised his hand expectantly. Mr. Blackbourne unfolded his arms and raised his wrist to check his watch, and then cut his hand through the air, deflating Gabe's attempt to ask a question.

This meeting just got weirder and weirder.

"I'm afraid that's all the time we have for tonight gentlemen. Mr. Lee, you and Mr. Griffin will be staying with Miss Sorenson tonight. I want you to both to make security rounds through the entirety of the night. Keep the video feed up of Miss Sorenson's location on your phones at all times."

Everyone exchanged glances. This was not the routine we had planned out earlier. Kota stood along with Nate and punched at their phones, standing at attention for dismissal. Mr. Blackbourne rose from our shared armchair and patted Kota on the back encouragingly, then turned to me. I looked up at him expectantly.

"Mr. Morgan, I would like you to take Mr. Coleman and Mr. Korba back home before returning home yourself. I can assume they can ride with you to meet at Ashley Waters an hour earlier than the usual time tomorrow?"

I nodded and closed my laptop, putting it in it's case quickly and rising out of the chair. Mr. Blackbourne seemed unusually pleased and patted me on the back just as he had Kota. I instantly recognized the short message he tapped out on my back as morse code.

Oh.

Gabe stood quickly as I gathered my things and held his fists tightly clenched while Mr. Blackbourne told Luke and North that they were riding back home with himself and Dr. Green. I hefted my laptop case strap over my shoulder and indicated with my head that we should head out to the car to my two passengers. Silas stood and picked up his discarded jacket, throwing it over his shoulder in readiness to leave. Gabe threw up his hands in disgust and stomped out the front door ahead of us, muttering curses in a trail behind him. Silas seemed worried, shrugging as we both followed Gabe out. They would both understand soon enough anyway. Dr. Green and Mr. Blackbourne already had their passengers in his car and were backing out the driveway ahead of us. I got in behind the wheel of my car and turned in my seat, snapping my fingers at Gabe sulking in the backseat. The car rocked slightly as Silas got in and Gabe looked at me like I had grown two heads when I indicated silently that I wanted him to hand me his phone. He handed it over and I took it, slipping it quickly into the glove compartment so I could hold my hand out for Silas' phone.

"Vic, what the flying fuck are you.."

I quickly raised a finger to my lips to shush him and sent the facial message patience to him. I backed out of the driveway and placed Silas' phone as well as my own in to join Gabe's. We drove in silence the short drive to Uncle's Diner and parked. Gabe got out in a huff along with us. I locked the doors and began walking back in the direction of Nathan's place, my two brother's matching their step with mine so we were walking together. Gabe seemed to have toned his attitude down now that he knew we weren't actually leaving and I smiled to myself. I was usually the impatient one of our group. I stopped us a few houses down from Nate's and led us back in the woods behind the residences so we could approach Nate's house from behind. This was going to be one damned interesting family meeting.