Part 15

Sang POV

 I stood just inside the entryway with the door open, anchored to the doorknob and reluctant to venture further in. The condo was silent. Creepy.  

 "Doctor Sean?"

 Ugh, I couldn't get over how awkward standing in Dr. Green's house without being invited in made me feel. I finally removed the purple key from the knob and closed the door behind me; re-locking it and moving forward into his kitchen.

There was just a quality about Sean's kitchen that felt like it was so rarely used that it bordered on almost never. I opened a drawer, inspecting it's contents. Measuring spoons and cups, laid meticulously out by size in neat rows. I sighed and closed it again, carefully so I wouldn't jar them around. I spotted a cordless phone on the wall by the garbage can and made my way over. The speed dial selections on the side were penned in and read "H", probably for the hospital he worked at, "K", "G", "N" and so on. It wasn't hard to guess who the letters represented. I picked up the line and pressed "K" first, and got the message machine. I thought about Erica while I looked the quiet kitchen over and waited for the beep. I didn't want Kota to have problems with her if she didn't know what was going on. I thought about what I should say. I had to try and sound casual, but get him the message that I was home.

 "Kota, this is Sang. I'm at Dr. Green's. I...lost my phone again, so please call me on his landline. See you."

 I hung up and pushed the next one. A woman with a heavy southern accent answered, asking if I wanted to book an appointment at  Pam's Hair Salon. I stuttered, realizing this must be his step-mom, and finally managed to ask for Gabriel, much to her poorly hid amusement.

 "Oh! Well, bust my buttons. He's not here sweetie, want to leave a message?"

 "Tell him Trouble called, and that I'm at Dr. Green's."

 She laughed. "Sure thing sugar pie."

 I hung up and eyed the other numbers, punching through each one and either leaving a message on the machine that picked up, or speaking with whoever answered the phone, leaving a message to call me back. I couldn't even reach Dr. Green at the hospital. I deflated when I had exhausted the list and still hadn't reached even one of my guys. I looked down at myself. I was still in the outfit from yesterday's...outing, and I ached and felt sweaty. I really didn't want the guys to see me like this. I would take a bath while I waited for them to call back, fix myself up a little before they swooped in and buried me under a mountain of questions. I spotted the trash can to the side. I may as well do this here since I was alone. I removed the dress right there in the kitchen and looked it over, deciding it was a total loss. I removed my money and keys from the pocket and lifted the lid to the trash can, letting the poor dress slip into the empty bag. I added my shoes to the bin, cringing at the dirt crumbling off of them onto the floor. I gazed at the pile for a minute before removing my bra too and inspecting it. It was ruined as well. I threw it in disgust beside the other discards and covered myself self-consciously with an arm. I would have to find something to wear after I scrubbed the last escapade off, before I dirtied Dr. Sean's house any further than I already had.

 ***   

 I had been in the bath so long my bathwater was growing cold.