Part 20

Sang POV

I woke up sweating and fighting back rising bile.

North lay beside me, still snoring softly. I grasped at the sheets and held them tightly, trying to get the images to recede and my spine to relax. I had dreamed of eyes, hundreds of them smothering me as they pushed me into the ground. I shivered and had to gulp back some more acid that threatened to make an reappearance. My throat burned from it, reminding me of the cups of lemon juice and vinegar my stepmother had made me drink. Ugh. I needed some water badly. My hand hovered over North's shoulder to wake him, afraid that I was interrupting much needed sleep. I didn't know what they had all gone through to find me, but whatever it had been must have included searching docks. Poor North. Still, he would be upset if I didn't try to wake him.

I shook his shoulder gently and sat back and waited.

Nothing. I touched his face and allowed myself to enjoy touching him this time. I hoped he hadn't noticed my earlier hesitation and been upset at it. I still didn't know how to feel about this whole love her or lose her plan of theirs. Did he truly love me? Was I selfish if I wanted his love, and the rest of his brothers love too?

I sighed. He wasn't waking up. I ran my thumb across the scratchy stubble on his chin and then up across his lips, trailing my fingers from them to cup his cheek. I pulled my hand away and sat up at the edge of the bed, trying to reorient myself to Dr. Green's condo layout before I got up in the dark. I slipped my feet out onto the plush carpet and stood, swaying only once before I was sure I wouldn't be dizzy.

I wasn't really sure where the light switch was and smoothed my hand over the cool wall on my way out, trying to find it. By the time I reached the door I still hadn't found one and gave up, shrugging as I moved through the hall. The dark didn't bother me, I could make my way around easily enough without the aid of light. I stepped onto the cold tile in the kitchen and pulled my borrowed sweatpants up, hitching them to one side so I could bunch the material up and pull the pant legs further up so my feet weren't swimming in them. I reached up to pull a cupboard door open when a silent brush of air sucked along my body.

Someone was moving around the house, but doing so very quietly.

I stilled and willed myself to feel more. I felt another breeze and now I was sure someone was opening doors around the condo. I pulled my hand back and waited, wondering if it was one of the boys. They wouldn't be so quiet about moving about though, would they?

Now I was scared. Images of the video of Hendricks and McCoy came to mind as I quietly pulled a drawer open looking for a weapon to defend myself with if I needed to. I found a handle and pulled it carefully from it's resting spot, fumbling my fingers over the curvy metal top to find I had a potato masher in my hands. I whimpered to myself when I realized I had finally heard movement, a soft creak coming from the living room.

I had run out of time. They were probably coming into the kitchen next from here. I swallowed and tried to control my breathing as I slid down to creep along close to the cupboards, still holding the sweatpants up with one hand and the potato masher with the other in front of me. I whimpered shakily under my breath again. This was the worst sneak around outfit and weapon combination ever.