Part 17

Nathan POV

Looking over all the cars in the teachers reserved section of the school parking lot, I realized Ashley Waters had a lot of dirt poor teachers. Either that or they were all misers who hated spending money on newer models. I was betting on the former.

The wind whipped my jacket around as Kota, Silas and I surveyed the lot. The wagon wasn't there, but I didn't really expect it to be because it just had to be a good lead. And if the car wasn't there, that meant it was still suspect in Sang's kidnapping. This was good news. We headed in to the front office, weaving through the cars on our way. I kept glancing over at Silas, towering over the tops of the cars like a silent giant. The big Greek had said little since Sang had been taken. He probably blamed himself that she was gone. I could associate with that. I had felt nothing but guilt seeing as I had agreed along with him to let Peanut start going on missions with us in the first place, even despite the resistance. I wish we'd not dismissed the concerns now. Kota had been the most reluctant to have her out on official missions. He walked ahead of us, saying little except what was necessary. I hadn't realized how much Sang meant to him until now. It was painfully obvious in the way his posture had almost seemed to die when he found out she was taken. He was the strongest in more ways than one in our group, and to see that strength deteriorate over that girl had given me the push I needed to see that sharing my Peanut was the only way we could keep this group together. I would have to talk to Mr. Blackbourne later to see if anyone else had agreed, and what I would have to do to help convince the others. That is, if we got her back.

My stomach sank in on itself at that thought. Silas was probably feeling worse than I was, since he had been present when she had been taken. He'd had to watch as she was hauled away. I lightly tapped at Silas' arm to ask him how he was doing, but then got distracted when my phone buzzed in my back pocket. I threw him a just a minute look and pulled my phone out, noticing he was pulling his own out as well. We looked at our screens but didn't have time to comprehend what the text said because Kota was suddenly pushing us both forcefully from behind back the way we had come. Even Silas was somehow being shoved forward despite his size.

"Whoa. Uh, Kota?"

"Kota! Shit. Stop pushing, I'm going...I'm going already! Damn, where's the fire?"

"Sang is at Dr. Green's. Get your ass in the car or I'm leaving you here."

Holy shit. Both Silas and I got wide-eyed at Kota's uncharacteristic expletive and the news, and then we were all racing back to Kota's car. I jumped into the back as Silas claimed shotgun and Kota ground it into gear to back out of our parking spot. Silas seemed to be praying in Greek in the front seat, covering his eyes with a big hand and slumping in his seat. I slung my seat belt on, manning my features up against the relieved tears that threatened to spill.

My Peanut was safe. She was going to be okay. I could breath again without my breath hitching in agony at the unknown that was happening to her. I could hold her again and keep her safe. I wiped away the moisture before it could spill over. God I was so glad she was home. I looked into the front seat and noticed Kota casting concerned glances at Silas. I looked over at him, and I guess I couldn't help but notice the river escaping from underneath the Greek's palm. I had never seen him cry in all the years he'd been with us. I could probably add him to the list of our group that loved Sang on that little fact alone. I turned my attention back to Kota, who was grinding forcefully at the gears again, trying to give Silas some privacy and watching Kota struggle to switch back to drive so he could move forward out of the lot. A change of subject was probably a wise course of action about now.