Part 27

Karen POV

There she was, being buzzed around by those two boys that took gym with her. I sighed and bent over to tie my left sneaker a little tighter so they both felt the same, watching her from the corner of my eye. She would be over here in a minute or so, plenty of time for me to swallow my nerves and buck myself up to face her. Chester had required an up front deposit to slip Will's contraption in place, but it was worth every penny. I would just have to ask for some overtime later to make up the difference.

Karen, let me know when Sang makes contact in gym. And try to get her to agree to go to a party with you or something. Even if she doesn't go, it'll give her boys a distraction. We need all the help we can get at this point.

I didn't like it, but I ground my teeth together and grunted in affirmation quietly as I looped and finished adjusting my sneakers shoelaces. Will sounded tired. He had been working overtime ever since Derrick had made whatever slip that had tipped Sang off. I stood and folded my arms, trying to look nonchalant while the coach gave us instructions and kept my eye on Sang at the same time. She edged over towards me through the small crowd of girls, but stopped a few feet from me. Guilt gripped at my chest when I realized that was as far as she'd go. She didn't trust me now, and she had every reason in the world not to. I had nobody to blame but myself. And Derrick. Yeah, can't forget him.

Remember, she has a bug planted on her.

Great. This was already going to be a fun conversation to tiptoe around, with the added fun of our rival's radio presence. Absolutely fantastic. Coach pointed out to the track and told us to team up with running partners. The other girls were quickly heading off in small noisy groups while Sang shifted on her feet and held her offish position, a tiny frown dipping a corner of her mouth. I turned and tried to not let it get to me, offering her a small smile and jerking my head towards the track.

"You coming?"

Her eyes widened briefly and she nodded, her hand skittled lightly up to her chest and then back down again. I avoided looking at her lackeys ahead of us as we both turned and walked in awkward silence. I needed a prompt. Anything. How the hell do you start a conversation with a former friend turned your kidnap victim that you also kinda happen to like anyway? I rubbed a hand at the back of my neck in frustration. The track stretched out in front of us, most of our classmates already running ahead. I pulled my black sports timer out from under my shirt and set it while Sang zoned out beside me, staring in the direction of the two guys in her group on the opposite side of the track. I peeked over at her and fumbled poking the right button when I realized the rims of Sang's eyes were reddened. Damn it, Derrick. This whole thing could have been so easily avoided and now Sang was suffering for it.

"Are you sure you're alright to run Sang? You don't look so good. Maybe I should take you to the nurse or something."

I watched in my peripheral vision as the punk blond streaked one raised his head sharply and kept his eye on us, still running. Sang shook her head and took her position on a lane, glancing at me and then nodding her head towards my timer. I shrugged and moved beside her, hitting the start button. when we started running it felt a little more...less than normal, but not bad. Sang seemed to loosen up a little at least. We were both huffing at the halfway point when Will decided to put us both on the same channel. She flinched at the slight crackle I had grown accustomed to and slowed for a moment before picking up her pace again. I hoped she got used to it soon. It would be a problem if she reacted every time we contacted her.

Sang, Karen is going to ask you to a party or some other flimflammery. You're free to accept or refuse, it's up to you. If you can make it we'll use the opportunity to get you outfitted a little better. If not we'll just find another way, or work with what we have. Go ahead Karen.