Chapter 9

"Well, the baby is growing strong and healthy. It shows no sign of disease or malnutrition. You're next checkup I can let you know the gender," Dr. Crusher said. She smiled and patted Deanna's leg. Deanna grinned back and looked up at Will, who was not fully healed, but enough that he could leave sickbay.

"I'm excited to know! I'll be thrilled with a boy or a girl," Will exclaimed.

"What about a no gender," teased Deanna. Will's face dropped a little, Deanna knew that he must be thinking about Soren. She had meant it as a joke, but things had ended with him and Soren so abruptly and oddly, Deanna could not imagine how that could feel. Soren though of "herself" as a girl, but in the end it was taboo and the government made "her" go back to accepting no gender.

Will smiled again and kissed Deanna's head. "No matter what, the child will be loved by me." She gave a little laugh and looked back at Dr. Crusher.

"Am I all clear, Beverly?" she asked.

"I don't see why not," she said. Deanna gave her a nod and slid carefully off the bed. She and Will walked slowly out of sickbay. Deanna felt that Will was in some pain, but on the outside he was masking it with a smile.

They walked in silence, relishing only in the company of one another. Taking in a long breath, she said, "I plan to tell my mother about the baby, today."

"Oh," Will looked and felt surprised. "I hadn't realize Lwaxana had not been told. How do you think she will react?"

"She'll probably grab the first transport from Betazed," she replied. Will chuckled and grasped his side.

"I can't argue with that. do you want me to be there when you contact her?" he asked. She thought for a moment as they entered the turbolift. She told it deck eight and the 'lift began to move through the shaft.

"Only if you feel up to it. You know my mother fairly well, she is bound to go insane."

Will rubbed his chin in thought and looked at the ceiling for a moment. "I'll stay in the room, but hide. if she says she really wants to speak with me, I'll come out." Deanna laughed and gently leaned her head on Will's arm.

The doors slid open and the two of them walked off and headed to her quarters. They encountered a couple of crewmen, but most were on duty. Deanna had requested the day off and Captain Picard had been happy to oblige. She touched a couple of button to the side of her door and it slid open. She and Will entered and Deanna gestures for Will to rest on the couch. He collapsed down and Deanna walked over to her desk.

"Computer," she began, "patch a call through to Lwaxana Troi on Betazed." The computer chimed and after a couple of minutes Lwaxana's face appeared on the screen. She looked to be outside, the background was bright and a blue sky draped behind her. Her mother had her hair in tight curls and her makeup set to bring attention to her features. She gave Deanna a large smile.

"Ah, little one, I am glad you have contacted me," Lwaxana gushed.

Deanna was curious. "Oh, why is that mother?"

"It's been months since your brother and I have seen you, my dear. I know that you won't call unless there is something important you want to say, so what is it?" she asked.

Deanna tugged on a strand of her hair. "Mother," Deanna began. "I--I am pregnant." Lwaxana jumped out of her seat and sat back down, wearing an expression of astonishment.

"Who--?"

"Will Riker is the father," she informed her. Her mother looked bewildered, but soon transposed her face into a smile.

"Ah, Deanna! I am so thrilled to hear this! Oh I must come aboard, I have yet to see the new ship, tisk, tisk, to Jean-Luc. Oh my I have so much to plan for. I'll leave your brother and then come as soon as possible. Yes that is a good idea, he dislikes traveling. Oh, Deanna I'm so proud of you little one. So much must be taken care of, yes, but I must see you," Lwaxana said. Absentmindedly Lwaxana walked away and Deanna watched her walk through the back door and into her old home.

"Computer, end transmission," Deanna said. She leaned back with a loud outtake of breath. She heard a light chuckle from behind her and she looked around to see Will leaning against the doorway.

"Looks like company shall arrive soon," he commented.

She groaned. "I knew this would happen and yet I held out hope she may not come." Deanna stood up and walked over to Will. He wrapped his arms lightly around her and kissed her head.

"It won't be too bad, Deanna. Your mother's eccentrics are always... enjoyable."

She laughed. "If that's the right word to describe it. I'd suggest you to get some rest, when my mother gets here, you'd want to be in full health."

"Oh why is that?"

"You just gave my mother a grandchild. She is going to want to kiss the ground you walk on. Her eccentrics will seem quite peculiar to the situation, but my mother will do everything she seems fit to thank you."

She felt him sigh. "I suppose you're right. I think I'll head back to my quarters and hibernate." He kissed her and walked out of her quarters.

****
Deanna sat in Ten Forward drinking a class of milk when Worf walked over. "Is this seat taken?" he asked. Deanna smiled.

"No, you may join me if you'd like," she said. Worf sat down, but was ridged. He had a glass of prune juice in his hand. He felt uncomfortable. They sat in silence for a few moments.

"So you and commander Riker are expecting a child," Worf stated. Ah, that's what he wants to bring up.

"Yes."

"So you are back together?" he asked.

"Yes. I have forgotten to say this, but I am sorry about Jadzia, you two seemed to really be perfect for one another."

"The past is the past and Jadzia is in Sto'Vo'Kor now, fighting with the best warriors."

Deanna nodded and took a drink from her milk. "I must admit, I do wonder what would have happened if we had stayed together." He eyed her suspiciously and took a drink from his glass.

"I have wondered the same, but I know that as long as commander Riker is alive, your heart would have been torn."

Deanna was taken aback. "Worf, I hope you never thought that! Will and I were good friends when I was with you and nothing more at that time. Please never look back on us and think that I struggled to be with you." He narrowed his eyes and looked passed her for a moment.

"Look where you are now, with child. A child that is also commander Riker's. If I could even imagine not thinking you two were up to something behind my back, it would have been an interesting day." She opened her mouth and closed it.

"As you said the past is in the past. You made your choice for Deep Space Nine and you fell in love. I'm happy about that, it's a shame she did not live because perhaps you would be less bitter." He felt surprised.

"Bitter? How do you mean?" he demanded. Angrily, he drank from his glass.

"Worf, you have been aboard the Enterprise- E now for two years and even so you have yet to warm up to the new crew. I just worry you are closing yourself off too much."

"I don't need counseling," he grumbled.

"Perhaps not, but you also could be more sociable to the new crew. Many have complained of your hostilities. I understand they are accustomed to a human security chief and they should settle with a klingon being different, but it does not help that they cannot talk with you," she sighed and lay a hand on her bump.

He growled a little. "Fine counselor I will be more... open to suggestions and not so critical of every wrong move. Now if you will excuse me, I have a meeting with my staff." He stood from his chair and strode quickly from the lounge. She and Worf had gotten on rocky terms, but she could only hope in the end to be forgiven. She hadn't meant to hurt the klingon, but at least he got a chance for good love with Jadzia. Deanna swirled the remainder of the milk in her glass and decided she would just call it a night.