Chapter 16

It had been a month since Deanna and Will had lost their daughter. It was a hard and long month, but at least Deanna was starting to come out of her mourning. She knew that they would have another child again and everything would be okay. They had a wedding to plan as well, but Deanna also knew Will still beat himself up for the fact he had ordered the relic onto the ship.

Whoever the caretakers were and whatever they had wanted with taking their daughter, maybe it was safer if she had not been born yet. The universe was still at war and Deanna and Will's duty was for each other at this point. She would miss her daughter, but she had to move on with her days or everything would just be meaningless in the end.

Her mother had helped some, in the beginning, when things were far worse with her and Will. They both took time off duty and stayed in their quarters, but after a while, tensions between the two of them had gone overboard. It felt like everything had come close to completely crumbling, but Will saw what fraction of hope there was left and grabbed it.

Deanna knew he still held the guilt in his eyes, but he made every attempt to not bring it up because he wanted to keep her and she wanted him as well. Deanna settled into her chair and scrolled through a couple of upcoming appointments, sighing. 

Will had also become a bit more overprotected. Insisting that he and Deanna had lunches together and making sure dinner was always together as well. Deanna loved her Imzadi but was struggling to accommodate all the time he wanted, especially since it was mostly out of guilt. 

The door chimed and Deanna called out "come" and turned to face the doorway.

It was Beverly, she came in with a plate full of brownies.

"Are you sure you don't have any sixth sense?" Deanna asked, getting up and leading Beverly to the couch.

"I just know my best friend. You looked tired this morning and I thought some chocolate may help," Beverly said. She set the bowl on the table and Deanna grabbed a brownie, sighing in contentment. 

Beverly had been amazing through everything. She did not hover too close but was ready whenever Deanna needed her. Deanna chewed on her brownie.

"So, how are things? Especially since you've been back to work full time for a little over a week now?" Beverly asked, grabbing a brownie herself.

Swallowing, Deanna replied, "I mean, I feel good to be back, I was ready probably earlier. I think it's a good way to distract myself if I'm honest. The more time away, the more I think and I honestly don't need it constantly in my mind. Plus, maybe the caretakers are right and a child in this environment is for the best anyways."

They both shuddered thinking of enemies such as the Romulans. There had been few attacks recently, but they still held their guard especially since the last large-scale attack was coveted by a member of their own ranks.

"That's fair, I'm happy to hear that at least work is helping. But I also want to know, how is the wedding planning going?" Beverly demanded.

"We found a venue in Alaska and are currently making final arrangements there. Of course, the Betazed ceremony is pretty much-taken care of at this point. I didn't even try persuading my mother otherwise. Even her child care duties would not stop her from throwing the most elaborate ceremony."

Beverly laughed, "No reigning her in. I can see that, but do let me know if there is more I can do."

"Just be my maid of honor and I am set," Deanna said.

Beverly gave her a huge smile, "Of course! Yes!"

Beverly and Deanna smiled at one another and began talking more in-depth about the wedding preparations in Alaska.