Perfect Gift

Riley had planned the whole thing. It was a week before everyone headed back to school and it was also Lucas' birthday. She wanted it to be special. They always celebrated his birthday but now they were more serious and Lucas had even gotten her that promise necklace which she never took off. She wanted this to be more special than normal.

She had her mom agree to close Topanga's early so they could have it all to themselves. Riley knew Lucas would have been more than fine with just their group of six but she couldn't help herself. She invited a bunch of their friends from high school too. Lucas knew there was going to be a party but he didn't really know what Riley had in mind.

Lucas followed as Riley led him by the hand to the café where they always hung on with their friends but unlike usual everything was dark and the curtains drawn on the window and the closed sign hanging on the door.

"It looks like it's closed," Lucas observed, a little suspicious of his girlfriend's plans, "What's going on?"

"You'll see," Riley teased as she fiddled with the lock on the door before opening the door and leading him in. It was still dark in the room as she relocked the door behind them. Then she reached for the light switch and flicked it on.

"Surprise!!" the room full of guests shouted as they revealed themselves from behind the various pieces of furniture and from the shadows. Many of their former classmates had filled the room, along with their four closest friends, who were sitting in their usual spot but with a couple more chairs pulled around their table.

"Happy Birthday Lucas," Farkle said as the couple approached him, Smackle who had scooted close to him and was leaning on his shoulder as Zay and Maya sat on the other side of the table.

"Happy Birthday Huckleberry," Maya echoed as they all shared their well wishes for him.

He mingled with all of the guests as music played and ate the snacks Topanga had made for them. Before long Riley pulled him away and coaxed him to dance. Smackle followed suit dragging Farkle behind her, leaving Maya and Zay awkwardly sitting next to each other.

"Missing Josh?" Zay asked Maya, breaking the silence with a knowing look, "It can't be easy to be around Riley and Smackle with their boyfriends when yours is far away. Plus school starts soon."

"Something like that," Maya replied, trying to play it cool, "But thanks for reminding me." The last part shooting off of her tongue,

"Come on, you need to have a little fun. Dance with me," Zay chuckled standing up and offering her his hand, "Friends can dance, can't they?"

"It's not like I have anything better to do," Maya replied, her voice dripping with a little sarcasm, before giving his a genuine smile, "Thanks Zay."

The two joined the couples and the six friends danced along to the upbeat tunes.

After a tiring themselves out, Riley and Maya went to get the cake from the kitchen. The two returned moments later with the fully lit cake, all 20 candles, in their arms as they put it on one of the café tables.

"Make a wish," Riley whispered in his ear, after the girls led the whole group in singing 'Happy Birthday', making Lucas smile before he blew out all of his candles in one big puff.

"Nice work, Babe," Riley congratulated him before planting a kiss on his lips.

"Well look at that," Lucas said with a chuckle as smiled at Riley before cutting into the cake, "My wish came true." He continued cutting the cake as his friends distributed it to the guests.

-

After the cake was eaten, the party was over and their friends headed home, Riley and Lucas took their spots on the too armless chairs they always sat at in the now empty café.

"Did you like your party?" Riley asked curious of what Lucas though of the party with all of his friends.

"Yeah, it was so great to spend time together before we all go back to school," Lucas replied smiling the way he only did at her, "I'll miss all of us being together."

"So I got you a present," Riley began hesitantly, "I have been trying for weeks to figure out what to get you. I wanted to come up with something as thoughtful as this necklace you gave me. I went to so many stores but nothing felt right. Then I was looking at pictures from our trip to Texas." Riley paused as she pulled a flat wrapped box from her bag and held it in her hands for a moment, "It's nothing fancy, but I think it is something meaningful to you. I thought this way you could always keep a piece of Texas with you."

Riley handed Lucas the box. He stared at the neatly wrapped box before silently opening it. He removed the paper and lifted the top of the box. He stared at it very quietly for what felt like an eternity to Riley. He lifted the distressed wood frame from the box, as he studied the picture, Riley saw his face change. She sat quietly waiting for him to say something.

"I love it, Riley," Lucas said softly before looking up at Riley with a smile, though she could see a glisten in his eyes. "When did you take this?" Lucas asked as he held the picture up to face her. It was a striking black and white photograph taken of Lucas next to his horse, Lightning, and his arms wrapped around Lightning's neck. Riley knew now much his horses meant to him, particularly this one. She just had to capture it.

"I was taking picture of the ranch when you were putting the horses away after our ride and I couldn't help but sneak this picture. I had honestly forgotten about it until I was flipping through the pictures on my laptop trying to find some inspiration. Texas has always been your favorite place, so I thought it was a good place to start," Riley answered, rambling on, so glad that he like her gift.

"Thank you, Riley," Lucas added, leaning forward to kiss Riley deeply enough to make both their hearts race. "I couldn't have asked for a better gift," he continued with a smile, one reserved only for her, after pulling back, "Or a better birthday."